1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 dodge

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by snowkilla, Jan 5, 2010.

1. snowkilla

snowkilla Junior Member

will the 2008 dodge quad cab SLT 1/2 ton be able to handle the 680# of the HD75? if so what mod to front end should i make, timbrens? levelin kit? I have 12 residentials and 3 100+ parking space lots so i need more of a commercial blade. PLEASE HELP

2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

I got the MD75 on my 06 half ton and I run fine without any mods. With the extra weight of the HD I would most defiantly do at least the timbrens and maybe crank the torsion bars.

3. snowkilla

snowkilla Junior Member

thanks bud, how is the md holdin up? how much work do you do with it? I have been think about maybe goin with that one because of the weight. I just don't know if it will be enough for what i take care of

4. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Hasn't snowed enough here for me to put it to hard work. Someone that has had theirs alittle longer might be able to better answer that on for ya.

5. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I doubt you even need a leveling kit I have a 2008 silverado which came with the snowplow prep package and they claim without a leveling kit I can hold a hd 75. Although, I have the leveling kit. The md 75 weighs only 400lbs your truck should handle it its 1/2 ton 1,000lbs.

6. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

I got one of the cheaper salters from buyers keep it on the hitch with about 1,500lbs of salt when I fill up, makes easy traction.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Excuse me but what do you think 1/2 ton means?

8. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

1/2 ton means 1/2 of a ton.......LOL what do you think it means. they use 1/2 ton springs.

A ton is 2,000 lbs so divide by two = 1,000lb springs front and back hence 400lbs not too much and 600 not too much weight. Then if you have the plow prep pacakage you get stiffer springs with your truck to help with the sag that most trucks get.

If you need anymore help with trucks let me know!

Your truck is 3/4 of a ton or it can handle about 1,500lbs like my plow truck

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

In 2006 Dodge Changed the 1/2 Ton Ram to Coil springs, so there are no torsion bars to crank. If you don't want to drop as much, get spring spacers (2"-2.5" is available) or some timbrens. Your truck will handle it fine- I have a Dakota with a Heavier Fisher RD Blade and it handles it fine.

10. JDiepstra

That is absolutely incorrect. Not even close to accurate.

11. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Well then... enlighten us!

12. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Don't know what i was thinking, lol

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think we need more than enlightenment at this point. LOL

14. JDiepstra

In case you didn't notice, there was 2 full pages of people disagreeing with you in that other brilliant thread you posted where you quoted me in the title.

15. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I would be weary about the MD being able to clear those lots if the snow gets heavy. I have a Western Mid-Weight which is supposed to be close to comparable to the MD. In light fluffy snow there is no problem with clearing my ~50-60 space lot. In heavy stuff it does not stack verry well and the truck often comes to an abrupt stop. Those plows are not meant to push large amounts of heavy snow and attempting to do so is a good way to break your truck and/or your plow.

I took the liberty of checking snowdogs website for you. I am sorry to tell you bud but unless your gross vehicle weight rating is 8510 then the only plow that is recomended is the MD. Check the sticker on your drivers door for your gvwr...

Your other option is the Western Midweight or the Western HTS. I guess enough people complained about the stuff ride of the Ram 1500 that dodge decided to turn its Ram trucks into an over priced cool looking station wagon in 2008.

If you had a 2005 Dodge ram then you could have gotten the HD.

16. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I just checked Fishers website for you. you can get a fisher 7'6" HD. that would be good plow!

Your other option is a Boss sport duty. My recomendation is go find a Fisher dealer in your area. I think it is the best option for the work you need to get done. your other option is to sub out the lots

17. snowkilla

snowkilla Junior Member

thanks man I never thought of lookin at fisher. i have been plowin for bout 10 years now and have always plowed with 3/4 or 1 ton dumps. i have never had to outfit a 1/2 ton before, but i gotta get another truck on my lots so i gotta make due with what i have. thanks for the help!! :salute:

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I'd fins a used Fisher MM2 they can be had for $2500 and will work great with your truck. Around here it would be easy to find, I'm not sure about your area though.

19. Arloslawn

Arloslawn Member
    from Indiana

Yes a C10 is a Chevy 1/2 and is rated at 1000pounds. Also Chevy made a heavy half, it was rated at 1,400pounds and also refered to as a camper special, although it is only 100pounds different then a 3/4 ton it only has stronger springs and still has the same 5-bolt differentials as the regular 1/2's. The Chevy 1/2 only had 5-bolt wheels up in till the late 90's when they switched to 6 bolt. Also the newer Chevy 1/2's are refered to as 1500's. The 3/4 is the same truck as a 1/2 but has heavier axles with 8 bolt wheels, also they have heavier springs and are rated at 1500pounds. 1 tons are of course rated at 2000 pounds and have a stronger frame, springs and bigger 12 bolt differentials. If you need to pack a bit heavier load in you 79 C10 then it is rated for you can add another leaf to the springs to make them stronger.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070805155325AAmYyBe

It is an 'indicator' as to how much it can haul, although it is not meant to directly mean it can haul 1/2 of a ton. Since a specific weight model can be configured differently, you have to take the gross vehicle weight of the specific vehicle (the maximum the tire spring combo can handle), and subtract the empty vehicle weight.

http://answers.edmunds.com/question...-of-a-three-quarter-ton-pickup-truck-122.aspx

I still have no idea what you think 1/2 ton 3/4 ton and 1 ton mean.... it means the amount of weight that can be carried.... if you know more please tell!? These are quoted straight off yahoo answers etc.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

No kidding. :dizzy:

Did you get a chance to read your other thread before it got deleted?