1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CityGuy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

008 Chevy silverado 2500 Crew 6.0 gas.

Yesterday my air bag light came on and the Service center thing said "service air bag system"
    Is there something I should look at before I take it to the dealer?

My little scanner did not pull any DTC's.
    I looked under the seats at the connections and don't see anything unplugged.
  2. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago, service air bag came on but it never logged a code. A few days later I had to jump start it on a cold morning, I replaced the battery (it was the original) I haven't had any issues since.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm. I tested that and had 12.5 at the battery. And I just put a new one in back in late october. Could have dropped a cell I guess? Might try a diffrent battery and see what that does.
  4. Take it to your dealer. Better safe than an air bag inflating in your face at the most inoptune moment of your day. If that message flashed on your DIC the computer will have a record of it.
  5. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

Most scanner will not bring up the codes for the air bag system. the dealer will have to pull the codes and tell you what is wrong. Mostlikely an impact sensor that is mounted in the fron went bad. Either the driver side or the passengers side. I would recommend having the dealer pull the codes and order the sensor from gmpartsdirect.com and do it yourself. it will be a lot cheaper. The dealer will hit you for a daignostic charge aound $250 and then an additional $300 to install th sensor. the sesor is around $75 bucks and it plug and play. just need to get to it. :) good luck
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

a local garage with a snap on or mac scanner would be cheaper....usually 50 to 75 for diagnostics
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yup an hour of labor

To the other person that replaced the batteries or whatever. When your batteries die or you disconnect them it resets your computer