1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Chevy Crew 1500

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 2008 Chevy Crew, Nov 5, 2012.

1. 2008 Chevy Crew

2008 Chevy Crew Junior Member
    from Ohio

I've been plowing for about 20yrs, using chevy 1500 trucks & have had great luck with them, the last was a 95 chevy that lasted 15yrs before catching on fire & burning to the ground needless to say it paid for itself 5 times over. I bought a newer 2008 chevy crew 1500 & want to add a plow, anyone have a newer 1500 with a plow here they could send some photo's, I'm thinking 7 1/2 ft snow dogg vmd v plow, I know I will have to add 2'' leveling kit, but open to western & meyers, etc.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

:eek:

Seriously ballsy of you to go back to something that did THAT to you... I know I've cut brands off for far less than burning to the ground.

That is, unless it was caused by arson, then you can hardly fault the vehicle for it.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he went back because for 15 years it didn't burn to the ground but worked well.

5. jasonv

from kannada

No matter how hard you work it, it should NEVER burn to the ground.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

One data point does not a trend make...and if we were going to rule out every manufacturer for isolated incidents of really awful crap happening, there would be NO vehicle that meets our standards.

7. jasonv

from kannada

You're talking global statistics. I'm talking experience. When something you own that costs tens of thousands of dollars (new) burns to the ground, that is an experience, not a statistic. If you want to look at it from a statistics perspective, narrow your vision to either those you've owned, or those that are subject to the same kind of use as you give it. The rate may jump dramatically when you do this.

In any case... fool me once, shame on you, etc.

There are enough alternatives to give another brand a chance. And the cool thing about that, is that the new brand starts with a clean slate, not with a prayer that it isn't going to do the same thing the last one did.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Well it was a 1 post wonder so we'll never know the reasoning behind the fire (most likely). After 15 years of use, who knows if a tranny line let go spraying fluid onto the exhaust catching fire, or if a wire shaffed away and caused an electrical fire, or maybe he doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire....

9. theholycow

My point was that you will rapidly run out of those alternatives if you "cut brands off for far less than burning to the ground". There aren't many and you'll never find perfection. There's only 3 manufacturers I know of making 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups, and 5 making half ton. If you run out, how many years do you have to give a manufacturer before you can use it again?

It may have had 15 years of abuse and neglect (for example the transmission line failure described above, could happen to any brand), and GM had 15 years to change how they're made (and they are definitely made differently than they were 15 years ago). Unless you've got some kind of PTSD from it, the logical choice is to consider that brand as if you never had one before.

10. jasonv

from kannada

Lets put it this way;
    I've never had a vehicle burn to the ground.
    From my perspective, cutting a brand off is most related to buying NEW. I won't buy a new chrysler (had massive oil consumption issue) or gm (weak frame). Both due to being poorly engineered. Had 20 years of good service out of a NISSAN, yes, there were faults and repairs required, but when a transmission lets go (not burned to the ground) after 15 years of plowing, that's understandable. The thing was worn right out from severe and long term abuse.

There are cases where I might buy USED again, if the price is right (I bought a '91 YJ used from a friend a few years ago for a few hundred $$) -- not a spec of rust on it anywhere, so even if the engine is a piece of garbage (which it is), since I have no intention of driving it on the road, I'll just keep pushing [with] it until it blows, then drop in a foreign engine. I've got a perfectly good Nissan 3.0 waiting to go :mechanic:

So the question is simply how many new vehicles do I expect to purchase for the rest of my life? I don't know the answer to this, but I tend to drive vehicles right into the ground (unless they're such POS's that I have to get rid of them...), so there are yet enough brands around that I won't be running out of alternatives.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. theholycow

You've ruled out Chrysler and GM. If you have a bad experience with a Ford and need to buy a new 1 ton pickup, what will you do?

12. jasonv

from kannada

Why would I want a "1 ton" overpowered fatmobile? Maybe a 1-ton in a halfway efficient configuration, but not a TURD. If I need that kind of capacity, I would much sooner look at HINO (Toyota) trucks than Ford. With the same physical dimensions, a SANE size of engine, and a cargo area FOUR TIMES THE SIZE, its a no-brainer.