1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Chevy 3500 dmax steering problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kubota00, Mar 18, 2014.

1. kubota00

kubota00 Junior Member

I am having a problem with the power steering. On dry pavement with the plow up (9’ Fisher), not moving, the steering wheel will not turn and it feels like there is no power steering. However if the truck is rolling, plow down or the plow is not attached the steering is ok. I bought the truck new and never had any problem until this year.
    The dealer replaced the power steering pump which made no difference, now the service MGR tells me this is normal. I have a GMPP and I am assuming the dealer does not want to make another warranty claim for the same problem.
    Has anyone had a similar problem if so how was it resolved?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you psi test the pump output theres no real way to say what the psi is. But, for the most part its normal
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sounds normal to me, my trucks do that too on dry pavement. Basically, when I put my Blizzard 8611LP on my Chevy 1 ton in the fall and pull it out of the shop, it's not turning unless its rolling. Very heavy on the front wheels, just keep some momentum backwards or forwards when on dry pavement.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

My trucks do this too, its normal.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how much air in the tires?...do you increase it to 80 with the plow on?
  6. kubota00

kubota00 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. The tire pressure is set at pressure the factory has printed on the door jam. There is no alternative for the plow. I am told over inflation will case other problems and can be dangerous.

It’s interesting that others have the same condition, I think that GM under designed the steering box for the extra weight of the Dmax with the 9’ plow.

I am wondering when the steering box will fail most likely when it it out of warranty.

I am going to try to past in a copy of the GM TSB that make it OK.

Attached Files:

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Just out of curiosity why do you feel the need to turn your tires when not moving?
  8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats not the best guideline to go by. Read your tire sidewall for max inflation pressure, usually 80 or 85 PSI on a LRE tire.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Trying to turn your wheels on dry pavement with a plow on is just causing undo stress on all your steering components. When your plowing it's slippery and it's fine to do then. If you want your front end to last a long time take your plow off when not in use.
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Only turn your wheels while the truck is actually moving. Set your tires at max pressure or 5 psi less. Run synthetic fluid in your power steering system and make sure it is clean.