1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Lee1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Lee1

Lee1 Junior Member

Was looking at these trucks for possible future plow truck. With the oversize bumper, the truck does not seem to set to high off the ground. Does'nt seem to leave a lot of room for plow attachment. What do you guys think?

2. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

There fine. We have a couple of them. We actully didnt have to do any mods to them like we did our half tons. We run them with 8ft western straight blades.

3. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Just put together a 09 GMC 2500HD 9ft Fisher X-Poly,no trimming and turned up the T-bars only a little.....

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

The Ultrmount will rub a tiny bit as you put the hooks on. Nothing big.

I have the MVP and had GM add an additional trans cooler. The tiny stock one behind the center logo was not enough and allowed the trans fluid to go above 200 which is close to the 212 cut off when the truck auto-magically cuts the power down to save it self.

Add Timbrens. I found the torsion bars worse on the NBS than my older '97 crew cab 1 ton. You must add ballast - oh boy do you.

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Legally, I don't think you can put a plow on this truck with the diesel. I think you will be over the front gawr. Go to quickmatch and see if Western will allow a plow on there. I know Blizzard won't.

6. Lee1

Lee1 Junior Member

Thanks for your advice !! Lee

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

why did GM refuse to move to an independent coil sprung front? why did they have to keep the torsion bars? ughh, if it werent for that, we prolly would have gotten another chevy, but ive seen so many of the 08+ drive around with their noses in the ground b/c of the plow. our tbars on our 02 HD are cranked all the way and the meyer c8 still squats it more than i thought it would.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Funny I was so happy that GM kept the same front ends that I bought 2 NBS's.:drinkup:

9. scottL

chevy is, as chevy does .... that's why they make timbrens and at $200 bucks it's a quick fix.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i agree the ride is pretty good (depending on what tires your running) and the turning radius even in 4x4 is great, but i hate seeing that nose dive. there is soo much variation in GM suspensions in these trucks, not only on the front end but rear as well. ive seen and talked to owners of HD's from the same year as mine to even different years, all stock, but they were either riding an inch or two higher or lower! ours seems to be in the middle.

11. scottL

I traded in my 97 k3500 crew cab long bed for the 2007 NBS crew cab long bed. I hate :gunsfiring: the turn radius on this new truck. It is not nearly as good as my old truck was. Every snow storm I swear :realmad: up a my own storm from the frustration of the additional effort it takes to swing the ss big butt.

What ever happened to that design in which the rear tires would turn as well???????

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Mine all seem the same but I only have 4. From the factory the tb's seem to not come the same so we just crank them a little. Personally i love the GM front end and have had very little work done on 10 year old plow trucks. JMO

13. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

Just remember if you touch the T-bars GM will void your warranty and that's a fact.My buddy works at a GM dealer up here and they have been told to look for guys the play around with them. So if you bring it in for work u might want to turn them back especially if your going in for front end work or uneven tire ware

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You need to find a new GM dealer then, if there toally cranked maybe but my dealer doesn't even say anything about my lifts or DPF delete. I also don't ask for warranty if the problem that occurred was due to my mods either.

15. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

Hey i personally don't care what you do to your truck all i am doing is giving the heads up.

16. scottL

I think the warranty thing has come up many times. The torsions are suppose to be moved according to need and the dealer can't void unless it is obvious that is the cause of the issue. When mine came from the factory there was actually NO load on the bars at all.

17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Take off front clip if you don't want to cut it and either turn up t bars or put in timberens or both. It'll work just fine .