1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Chevy 2500 HD wiring questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rb69, Oct 20, 2008.

1. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

I have a 1 year old 8'2" V plow that I am reusing on my 2008 2500HD. I got my new wiring for the plow & for the headlights.
    It didn't come w/ any instructions as to where things go for there final hook ups. While I do have it laided in place as far as where I think things should go.
    Are there any instructions on any of this?? Also would like to know where the harness for the hand held controller goes through the firewall, without making a total mess of things. I see where the main harness goes through the firewall, but I was hoping to stay away from it, as not to cause any trouble w/ it?????

Thanks

2. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I just went through this about a week ago....first thing you should do is go to the Boss web site and go to the technical section. Download the wiring schematic and diagrams as to where everything hooks into. Spend some time reading those items to familiarize yourself.

If you still are having trouble, a guy named B&B on this board is the guru for all things wiring. Good luck!

3. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

sabres07, where did you go through the firewall at??
    Mine is a Duramax diesel, Where did you mount the relays at? I am looking a spot near the under hood fuse box on the drivers side.

Thanks

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I had to drill my own hole in the firewall. I drilled 1 1/4 inch hole just up and to the left of the spot where the accelerator cable comes through, as you look at it from the engine compartment. Just make sure you double check each side so that you don't hit any wires.

As for the relays, I zip-tied them to the thick battery wire coming off the battery that goes into the little red plastic housing....looks like a positive junction box.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. generalee31184

generalee31184 Junior Member

boss on 08 2500

I just went through this a few months back when wiring my plow up. My plow is 2 years old and I used the harness and everything off of the truck the plow was on (2002 2500) for my 2008 2500. So I wired everything up a few months back, dealer did have the headlight harness in stock yet($130) so once he got them I installed what i was thought the correct way. So I went and got my plow out of the storage barn yesterday and only problem I was having was my turn signals were working opposite. (RH truck was blinking LH plow and vise versa) So I went back to wiring schematic to find that the RH turn should be utilizing the Pink lead and the LH the Violet lead. Well thats sounds simple and all BUT the harness is set up and at a length for a truck with the battery on the right hand side of engine bay when standing in front of it. These new chevys the batteries is stuffed in Left rear corner standing in front of it. So those two wires were not long enough to reach opposite sides. (well the pink was, just had to pull out of loom and back) But then had to cut and extend the purple to reach the opposite side. I dont know if any one else has run in to this yet but I did and this was the only thing I could do to fix it! I do have one question for you guys, connections I have all clean and di-electric greased them all up, but yesterday it did it twice to me, it wouldnt lift back up, I got out uplugged, plugged back it then it started working again. I could hear the solenoid clicking. Any ideas?

6. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

I have most of the headlight wiring complete, other than the switched 12volt wire inside the cab. Instructions say to use SEO plug in on the inside fuse block. The wire that I found in the upper left hand corner that was switched(key on) was a small/thin pink wire that I didn't like the gauge of it.
    Where have you guys picked up your switched 12 volts?

Thanks

7. generalee31184

generalee31184 Junior Member

I picked mine right out of that box under the dash near your feet, there was an extra spot in it that went with the key. I just put a female spade end on the wire and plugged it right onto it

8. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

generalee31184,
    I will check them again ,but I didn't find any that where open that would work.