1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 5 ton Sterling,with a 6.7 cummins-Check gauge warning light?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cl733, Dec 23, 2013.

1. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Its got a 86110 blizzard on it, it did it most of last winter too, put new batteries in it last winter hoping that was it but its still throwing a code- Check gauges. Its from using the blade , the high current draw from the plow motor I believe. I suggested to the guy to draw blade power from the second battery down stream from the alternator but I don't think he has even looked at that yet , but has anyone had this problem , and what have they done about it

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

What size is the alternator?

3. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Not sure what it was , it is what ever came stock on it though

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Check the purchase sheet. It may have come with a skimpy 100 amp unit. If that's the case, I'd bet you could get a 160-200 amp unit off a ram truck. That or you need to find provisions for a second alternator. Another possibility is to get an overdrive pully for your alternator so that it spins faster keeping current production up. You already have two big batteries, so it's a matter of getting supply current.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What makes you sure its the plow causing the problem? Theres no code for "check guages"

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Actually, on a Cummins PCM there is. It's P0193. Gauges out of limits/parameters.

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Well when you shut the truck off it resets, it will go forever and a day with no code showing up, it has an electric dump pump on that never sets off the code , but the minute it hooks onto that blade and the blade gets lifted it shows up a code check gauges, I cant find no cause for that code anywhere, when I get back around the truck I will run a scan on the OBD11 port and see if anything shows up but I doubt it will, its confusing, it does this what seems like every winter but it just keeps going

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Plows will pull about 120-150 amps. That's a huge draw for most systems. You really need an alternator making about 50 amps better than the draw of the plow if you are non-stop up-down-angling the blade.

9. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I think that plow pulls around 175 , could be wrong, but I know its large, never seen the voltage drop to a lower level, we tried a new alternator on it last year too,

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I run a 93 cummins with 2 group 65 batteries I put in 3 years ago now and plow with a PP 8100 , we are always in strata properties and tight places , I still have my original alternator on that truck, 177K on it , maybe im on borrowed time with it , but that things runs that plow all night long and never once has it let me down , ive been waiting for it to give me problems but it just keeps surprising me

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I'd see if I could find an ambulance prep pack engine bracket kit. That will allow for a 2nd alternator.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I wonder if the plow power cables have resistance in them?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's the voltage drop while raising the plow? Below 12v?

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

To clarify, are you talking system voltage drop, or voltage drop across the power supply to the plow pump?

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well entire system. Then narrow it dwn by plow volt drop.

16. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Good point. Anything below 12.6vdc will full field the alternator on a 12volt system. If your truck runs a 24vdc system, double that to 25.2vdc.

17. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

of course the volt needle wiggles, but not a drop to 10v , was on some cummins forums and I see this isn't an isolated problem, seems it happens to a lot of people without any real cause known, this truck just has a driver on it so, the actual sequence of events may differ , ill go see if I get a scan code out of it this afternoon,

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Measure it with a voltmeter. You want to check voltage through each wire. From alt to battery. Battery to solenoid. Etc. Same on ground side