1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 2500HD w/ 6.6L questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by High Voltage, Oct 26, 2008.

1. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

OK I am new to the plow world. I own a 2008 GMC Ex. cab standard box with a 6.6L Duramax. I am thinking of going with a Boss 8' super duty plow, although it is not recommended I guess. To correct this I was thinking of throwing on Timbers in the front and maybe the rear to (I do a lot of towing).

I would like to hear from a few of you on your thoughts of going this route seeing my truck is not just for plowing. Should I try to find a lighter plow or is this going to be a good setup for my truck?

Does anyone have this truck or a crew?

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 04 regular cab Dmax with a 8.5 ft boss superduty. no timbrens, torsion bars turned up about 5 turns. My front end drops maybe an inch with that blade. Put at least 700 pounds of salt in the back and you will be good no timbrens needed, crank your torsion bars too. you will be fine with an 8 footer.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2004 crew dually with a 8'6" Western V with wings. I wouldn't think twice about using that plow. I would go bigger if it was my truck, but that's just me.

4. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

I just noticed Blizzard speed wing plows. The 76 is under 600lbs. Is this a good plow or should I just stick with the bossHD? I was also looking at sno-way 29 series.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

7.6 will be too narrow in the angled position for your truck. If your concern is weight, seriously consider the Snoway since you did mention them. The width you need without the excess weight. You can run up to a 9 ft 32 series in a straight blade. :nod:

6. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

When i do the match tool on sno-way's website the only 2 options is the 76 or the 8 29 series. The boss 8' weighs 698 plow only and the blizzard 8sw weighs 778 witch I do believe is too heavy. An 82 boss v plow is less weight than that at 770lb. Yes I am concerned about weight because as I said before This is not my main use for my truck. I am getting a plow to help out a friend and also to make some extra money this winter. I guess I am having a hard time making my mind up on what route to go. I was going to put a 9' Western but my local frame shop told me I should find a lighter plow. I think you are correct about the 76, I think I need at least a 8 footer. Not to sure about the sno-way plows right now old fashioned steel seems to be a lot more reliable to me, and they cost more.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

You actually have lots of choices when it comes to Sno-Way for your particular truck

29 Series- either a 7'6" or 8'

29T Series- 7'6", 8', or 9'

32 Series- 8'6" or 9'

28V Series- 8'3" or 9'1"

29HDW Series- 7'6" or 8' will accept optional wing accessories

MegaBlade Contractor Series- 8'6" will accept optional wing accessories

You can learn more about all these models through our website, http://www.snoway.com

9. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

I was just talking to a friend that had a sno-way and he does not recommend it. He said he owned one in the past and would not buy another. I think I am going to go with either a 8' Boss super duty or a 8' super duty xt, just don't know if I want to add the extra weight of the xt. Mostly going to be plowing open large lots and drives. I do like the concept of the blizzard 86 sw but the plow is 80lb heaver than the 8' Boss.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I carry my 8' Boss or 7'6" w/boss wings without problems on my Duramax. I have timbrens though too.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

go with the 860 SW you won't be disappointed.

12. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

yes the blizzard looks like a good plow I have not talked to anyone that has owned one. I take you do and that is a plus getting positive feedback on it. It weighs 778lbs and the boss 8' weighs 698lbs. I am starting to think from reading around this forum it maybe all right if I add timbrens to the front.

13. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

I just called a local dealer about the 86sw Blizzard and they will not sell it to me for my truck. The manufacture does not approve that blade for my truck with the duramax engine. Looks like the only blade that is approved is the sno-way 29 series 76 and 8. Just seems crazy for a 3/4 ton truck.

Are Hiniker plows worth looking at? I just seen their 8' HD plow is 614lbs. Called local store that carries them and it would cost $3794.00 with me installing it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  14. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Actually I don't think any blade is "approved" for that truck.... There's a guy on here that has a 990lb boss on the front of his. I your self installing I'd still go with the 860SW. I actually have an 810 but was just playing around with my friends SW and it's a nice setup. I only like the 810 better because I have a drug store with a drive through that the SW won't fit through. If you want to take a ride I'm sure Jerre would put a 860SW on your ride.

15. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

I would go for the 8'2" XT if it were my truck. I have an 08 2500 Crew SWB Duramax and I have a Boss Power Vee XT 8'2" this does not affect it much. You can turn your torsion bars up between 4 to 8 turns without having to have your front end aligned. My torsion bars are cranked up 4 turns and the truck sits stock all of the time, with the plow on or off. I would through 400 or 500 pounds of salt or sand in the bed. This will help with traction. Also if you are plowing narrow drives or drive thoughts then this plow will still fit. If you get a 7'6" when it is in vee or scoop then it barely covers your tire tracks and you will find yourself spinning everywhere.

16. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

Well if I am going to go over I am starting to thik I should just go with a 8'2" boss v xt weighing in at 785lbs.

If I gow over the front axle rating what are the proper corrections? Timbrens and that's it?

17. jxb1008

jxb1008 Junior Member

I have 8'2" vee xt on my 08 silv. crew and all I did was turn the torsion bars 4 or 6 turns and added some ballast weights. This is how I corrected the issue. The truck sits and pushes fine.

18. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

ballast and timbrens is the key plus you might have to change your fan clutch so it doesn't over heat, i run about 600 to 700 lbs ballast my plow is about 850

19. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

very good info to here from people with the same kind of trucks.
    I am going to call the dealer just to see if it will void my warranty or not. Do any of you know.

20. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

I believe It will since its not snow plow prep or is it ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008