1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 2500hd Service 4wd message.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sweedfire86, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Sweedfire86

Sweedfire86 Junior Member

Parked the truck this morning after plowing. Left it in 4wd. Went to run to the Market a bit ago, came out of 4wd fine but will not go back in. Service 4wd message flashing on the dash. Anyone run in to this problem? It just warmed up here for the first time in forever, it's 40 deg out today. Any chance water got into a sensor or something?
  2. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

My 2011 2500 4wd is funky too. Sometimes it won't go into or come out of 4wd. Usually if I shut the truck of, let it sit for a minute or two,it will work. No service warning though.
    I have had a service trailer brake and service traction control warning all season. No effect as I see it, so I will deal with it in the spring.
    I so miss the old days of the basic trucks without these freakin computers. You could actually work on them!
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Take it to most any auto parts store and see if it's throwing a code.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If you cant get it tow work after a couple key cycles, try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. If still nothing, GM (in the early 2000's) had a bunch of issues with transfer case shifter motors (aka encoder shift motor), transfer case control modules (aka TCCM) and the actual transfer case switch. Assuming your's is a push button and not a manual floor shift...

Most of those parts are avilible in the aftermarket (like napa) and can go right in. The switch would be the cheepest and the encoder motor and control module will be expensive. The module may have to be programmed by the dealer...