1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2008 1500 Silverado remote start not working.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by boss75, Nov 8, 2015.

1. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Hello everyone, as the cold weather is approaching I tried the remote start function. Nothing happened, battery is fine in remote as door lock function works fine. Truck is my personal truck, excellent shape, about 70k. Any ideas?

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'd still try a new battery since it may end up being a simple solution.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The remote has to see certain things for it start, such as park and the hood is closed. Check sensor on hood for loose wire,etc

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Factory remote start? Or aftermarket?

5. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Factory, where would the sensor be located ?, never worked on one of these parts before.

6. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Do you have any check engine lights on? The truck has a fail safe built in if the check engine light is on remote start will not work.

7. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Light came on about a month ago.

8. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Remote start WILL NOT work till that light is off. Do you have a scan tool to read and clear codes?
    If you clear the codes the remote start will work temporarily until the code/s re-appear.

Where are you roughly located in Michigan? If you don't have a scan tool I could check and clear the codes for you if your close to me.

9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^ This.

10. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Bingo! X2...

11. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Just an FYI for other folks reading this thread. I know the dodge trucks from at least 2009 to current do this same thing with FACTORY remote start. Its a fail safe. I never personally owned a newer ford but I bet they do the same also.

12. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Quite a distance, thank you though. I'll start with the info. I received and go from there. Thanks for all of the help,