1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carboy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. carboy

carboy Junior Member

Tomorrow I plan to buy either a new 2500HD Classic or a new New Style 2500HD. I'm stressing about this. The Classic is about $3300 less than a comparable New Style. What is the typical gas mileage of these two trucks in everyday driving. No towing. Some people tell me these trucks swill gas. (6.0 gas) What are you getting?. I'm not worried about mileage when I plow with it - - it is what it is. Also, are the Classics pretty well-built trucks? Elsewhere I read the comments about the thin steel on the New Style 2500HD. Your candid opinions appreciated.
  2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I have a 07 Sierra Classic that has about 10,000 miles on it and its rare to get 10 mpg in the city. I sure that the new body style trucks get better milage because of the 6 speed transmission.
  3. carboy

carboy Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response. The 6 speed would not be in 6th gear very often in the city would it? What do you think about highway mileage between the two models? That might be where the 6 speed shines. Does anyone know the final transmission gear ratio of the two trucks?
  4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

The 6th Gear would only work on the highway. I will check with my neighbor once, he has a 07 new body style with about the same milage and see what he gets with his. I have no idea what the final gear ratio is.
  5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an '07 new body style 2500HD extended cab with the 6.0L 6-speed auto and 3.73 axles. First tank out the door I was getting 17.5 on the highway (conservative cruise at 60-65) and 12-13 city. Right now (3700 miles) I am getting 9-9.5 towing a 29' travel trailer. I am very happy as that is better than the '96 1500 I traded in.
  6. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

What's the verdice carboy? Did you get the new style or classic? Personally, I'd get the new style for the resale value. Any pics of the new rig?
  7. reese600

reese600 Junior Member

I just picked up my NBS '07 GMC 2500 6.0L/6 speed w/ 3:73's and have 1200 miles on it now and getting 14 mpg back roads driving and city combo.Not even missing my '03 2500
  8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am in the same situation but I am looking at a 2007 classic, white, 2500HD reg. cab, plow pfk, 4 wheel, etc. with a Boss plow on it. The dealer is a light truck dealer and has had this truck since last winter with the plow. He wants to move it - $25000 out the door - i think I will be getting it tomorrow - 0% for 60 months and I don't care about the trade in cuz I run our trucks to 100 - 125 K b/f trade in.

Also with the classic style - no one will no that I just bought a brand new truck with warrenty for work cuz everyone is looking at the new trucks.

Any advice with the boss plow - just a regular plow - no V. I have all hiniker plows on the other trucks.