1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 Tahoe Tranny Getting Hot

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ispperformance, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ispperformance

ispperformance Junior Member

Today I drove a little further than normal with the plow on and I always have the transmission temp showing in the display. Got up to 204 degrees, any ideas how to keep it from heating up when the blades on?

2. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

If your Tahoe doesn't have a trans cooler , you might want to think about installing one .

3. ispperformance

It does have a trans cooler, its really small. Truck came with a tow package, they could have used a bigger one. Should I upgrade to a larger cooler?

4. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I certainly would , heat kills transmissions . I've been putting them on my trucks for years and have had just one trans go bad , it had over 100K miles on it and had been plowing for 7 years .

5. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

Try driving with the plow a little lower to the ground. You may be blocking airflow to the radiator. No air flow equals no cooling,

6. ispperformance

I have tested it it with the plow almost on the ground, angled etc... Still no results. I even fabricated a deflector TGIF mounted between the plow lights to direct airflow into the grill. I think the grill design on the truck sucks, and it doesn't let any air in. My tranny temp is around 160 normal driving. I have had many trucks with plows, never an issue until now.

7. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

electric fans will do the trick also.

8. ispperformance

The Tahoe doesn't have a fan with clutch connected to the water pump shaft, instead it has Chevys new electric fans. I try to keep the AC on so that the fans are running. Been looking for small fans to mount on the tranny cooler.