1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD Wheels & Tires?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snow4me, Feb 13, 2014.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I just purchased another plow truck for my business and it is the first 3/4 ton in my fleet (see attached photo) It is probably the cleanest truck I now own and the tires on the truck are a mismatched set of mostly worn out sneakers.

Because the rims are the crap steel ones with rust on them I plan on buying a new set of wheels and tires. On my other trucks I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 tires on stock alloy wheels. I like the traction with these tires for plowing but I wear them out faster than other tires I've used in the past.

1.) What type of wheel do you guys recommend considering the harsh conditions the truck will be subjected to ie. salt corrosion? Machined clear-coated, Chrome, or polished? I do not want black so painted or powder coated black is out. I think chrome would look the best on this truck but what will be the most corrosion resistant?

2.) Other than previously mentioned tires what recommendations for tire brand and size? This truck has the 6.0L engine and I think 3.73 gearing. I like the look of larger wheels to fill the wells better but will that affect the low end torque due to taller overall profile. I do not want really large rims with low profile tires however I am thinking about bumping the rim size from stock 16" to 18"....is that too big? Anyone else with 2500HD Silverado trucks what is the best balance to give a good appearance without much if any performance tradeoff. Does anyone else on here have larger overall height wheels with tires and 3.73 gear diffs? Do you engage the tow/haul mode when plowing heavier snow to get more torque to the wheels and push that heavy snow? What size wheels and tire combinations work best to maintain stock gear ratio or close to it?

FYI - This truck will be outfiitted with a Snoway 29R eight foot plow with the 5" wings. It will also have a 2 cubic yard v-box spreader in the bed.

Thanks in advance for any input. :salute:

2007 2500HD Silverado.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Keep those steel wheels with a set of dedicated winter tires on them. For spring-fall get another set of wheels and tires if you want the truck to look nicer.

In the winter I run 285-75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my stock aluminum wheels painted black.
    Spring-Fall I run 295-70-17 Toyo Mud Terrains on 17x9 Eagle Alloy wheels.

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Holy Sh#tballs!! Look at that summer picture! Who cleaned that for you? That truck would look great with a SS DXT.
  4. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

if you want one set for all season, a set of h2's provide a good finish for winter without worrying about serious corrosion. tire wise, everybody around here who plows and has experience runs 285 duratracs. even without studs they are a badass motherfuckin tire.
  5. Deerewashed

i told you i was looking for a work truck, but im gonna sell my rig for a black short bed version for all year use....may steal a few ideas from your truck lol
  6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

If you want a little bigger go with some 265's. There are so many different opinions on wheels and tires. The more you pay the better tire you will get. Just like with most things.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I detailed it myself thank you! Only took me about 8 hours not including the 12 hours I have into the wheels.

I've talked to a few people who have the duratrac's and they hate the things.

A friend of mine had them for about 3 months on his F250 and decided after a few close calls due to their unpredictable handling due to the soft side walls that he was done with them. Replaced with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and been happy ever sense.

Buy this one, save yourself the hassle.
  8. mossman381

I have had the Terra Grapplers. Good tires but wear pretty fast.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know a few dozen people with them but I can't comment on their mileage as I only see them now and then.

Mine have probably 15-20k on them and are maybe 1/4-1/3 wore. That includes plenty of weight on them.

My friend has probably 20-30k on the tires on his F250 and I'd say they are at about 1/2 tread. His are run at a lower pressure, less weight on them as well. However that 20-30k has been a rough life so far on an 850hp pickup. They get spun a lot, also sled pulls and quite a few passes down the drag strip smoking all 4 tires off the line. He's hard on them in a different way then most are.
  10. mossman381

I didn't wear my set out but sold them on a truck I had. That guy wore those tires out in no time. It has been a long time but if I remember right they don't come with deep tread on them. I wonder how the Dura Grapplers are in snow?
  11. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

My brother has a set of xd series wheels with Goodyear duratracs on all year on his 2500hd. My f250 has duratracs as well I really like them
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go on eBay and buy a set of gm factory alloy rims.

As for tires, u run Bfg all terrains on my plow trucks and duratracs in my person truck.
  13. Deerewashed

yup i will agree with you on the week sidewall, but none of us do towing larger than a skid steer, or track loader in the winter. if you do a lot of heavy towing it would make sense to avoid these tires strictly because of how sketchy they will be under extreme load.

Also, is your truck for sale?
  14. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

Congrats on the new addition, and as for the thoughts on rims and tires, everyone has them. For winter I have those rims, cleaned them up and rattle-canned them black and they are wrapped in TreadWright Guard Dogg 265s. I'll be honest, for the price, I figured I'd try them, but the things are awesome. Have about 1500 miles on them now, and they haven been quieter than my summer 285s. Ride nice too, and they only have minimal whine. Good luck on whatever you choose!
  15. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Deerewashed: Are these the rims you are talking about?

16. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Thanks man! I was just on the treadwright website and they are out of the ones I'm interested in. I'll be patient and see if they get them back in stock soon.

17. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

18. Deerewashed

yeah man, those are what i am talking about. imo due to their color and texture they wont get as ****** as the 16" pyos you pictured after abuse from salt and sand. if you are capable of maintaining them, i would go with 16's they are so good looking if chrome is in good shape
  19. Deerewashed

the h2's arent really chrome.
  20. almostfinished

almostfinished Junior Member

I have a set of the H2's pictured above sitting in my garage taking up space. They're in great shape. Pay for the shipping and they're yours if interested. My zip is 10512 if you want to get a quote.