1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 Powerstroke things to look for/ be worried about???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GMCHD plower, Jan 9, 2011.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, my uncle is looking at a 2007 ford f550 diesel... Were there any issues with these motors? Thanks guys, David.

2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Get an OASIS report from a ford dealer. The 6.0 power stroke is a good motor if you take care of it. Always use motorcraft filters! Nothing else. Change all fluids when recommended, period. I have an
    07 F-350 CC SB that has been awesome to me. I just turned 86,000 miles and have had no major issues. There is a lot of chatter about these motors being junk, but most of the problems can be traced back to abuse, poor maintenance, and cheap filters. Most of the "issues" were taken care of by 2005-6

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, most of the issues were ironed out by 07 but I would never trust a 6.0.

4. GMCHD plower

Thanks guys, the truck has 69,000 miles so if he goes to buy it we'll make sure to get an oasis report, carfax?... Also did all of the 550's have locking hubs if they had 4x4? The ad dosen't say 4x4, but it dosen't say 2x4, and in the picture it dosen't look like the locking hubs...

unf dump.jpg

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think in 99 they started all having lockouts if they were 4wd. It still maybe shift on the fly but it will still have lockouts. I have an 07 6.0 and I think it is a fine motor, and no complaints on the truck either.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks nice. I'm pretty sure even the newest trucks still have the locking hubs. I know my '06 F550 work truck did.

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

David that is a 4x4 I see the lock outs they are silver and I see the Dana 60 axle also. If it was 2wd. that has a I beam style axle (its hard to explain over the computer) so IMO its deff 4x4

Nice looking truck also.

8. GMCHD plower

Thanks guys. I remembered there where a bunch of problems with 6.0's but couldn't remember what yrs. Also Pete thanks, now that I look closer I see something that looks like locking hubs in the center or the wheel... Thanks guys!

9. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I would have a good Ford dealer check it out before you buy it. They can run a few tests on it to tell you if your injectors are all good. They can also check the oil cooler, EGR, and FICM. Make sure the batteries are good, because if they are getting week they put out less voltage to the FICM which in turn puts out less voltage to the injectors and causes them to fail. I would recommend installing an EDGE insight CS to monitor the trucks vital signs. I have mine set to watch EGT, EOT, and ECT. If your EOT is more than 15 degrees hotter than your ECT, your oil cooler is probably on its way out. The EDGE just plugs into your OBD2 port, You also need to add an EGT probe in the exhaust which connects to the EDGE CS as well, then it will watch your EGT for you too. It may sound like a lot but its really easy to do and will give you peace of mind while towing and working the truck. I love mine and will buy another when I upgrade trucks.

EOT.... engine oil temp
    ECT.... engine coolant temp
    EGT.... exhaust gas temp.

10. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Pull the luel filter off on the frame rail. See if there is any rusty looking matter. The fuel tanks on the 450-550 trucks that are mounted behind the rear axle are prone to delaminating and rusting from the inside out. Also you can put the bed up and remove the sending unit swipe your finger around on the inside of the tank . All of these tanks will do it ,its just a matter of when. The matter will plung the filters and reduce pressure to the injectors causing them to go bad.To replace the tank and flush the injection system at the dealer will be just under 3k. Or you can replace the tank every couple years for about 800 if you do it all yourself. Clean fuel and air are the most important thing in these trucks.

11. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Is this on 450 and 550's only? Never heard of such a thing. Never seen anything about it on powerstroke.org either.

12. GMCHD plower

Thanks so much guys!! I talked him out of buying the 550. (he's a lawyer who wants a small dump truck to play with) I wish he would buy it but for what he wants to do I think it's to big. I found an 03 F350 7.3 that I'm almost positive I can convince him to buy, I've heard many good things about the 7.3 so I feel a bit more comfortable recommending this 350 to him. Thanks again for your help guys!

13. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but powerstrokehelp.com is great . he has a ton of great videos on youtube and his website. watch those if you want to learn about the powerstroke engine and diesel.

14. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

powerstroke diesel info

I found this guy on youtube and he also has a website that seems to be a master of the powerstroke diesel engine. my advice is to check out all this videos over and over and over again lol just like i did. The website is powerstrokehelp.com and youtube just type in powerstrokehelp

I bow to the 1997 F350 XLT 4x4 reg cab 7.3l turbo diesel ussmileyflag

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not true. 450s and 550s have a SFA regardless of drivetrain.

16. JCark

JCark Member

Powerstrokehelp.com is an AWESOME website! He tells you the truth with no BS. The truth is the 6.0 is a strong running engine as long as you take care of them and use the right parts when you service them. As long as you get an 05 or newer with a clean oasis you should be good. The 06 and 07 year 6.0L PSD has had less warranty claims combined than any 1 year of the 7.3L (according to powerstrokehelp.com). You just cant beat that.

17. Marek

Marek Senior Member

18. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

That powerstroke help guy is a dumb ass. In one of this videos he has someone crank the motor over while he's holding the fan to thread it on. and some of the other things I have seem him do and big no no's.

19. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Yeeeeah ok :dizzy:

20. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Where is this truck located? Is there a link?