1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 NBS 2500HD Axle smell in 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scottL, Jan 26, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This truck is new to plowing this season ( for me and Chevy ). It's the NBS 2007 2500HD 6.0L 4x4. Only when I'm in 4x4 plowing do I get the smell of the heavy axle fluid in the passenger compartment.

I took it to Chevy and they relocated the vent tube last week ... slightly better. No leaks found. Anyone else run into this???? ( After a while it makes you nauseas and still happens )

( BTW .... If you own one of these models you should have gotten in the mail a notification to double check your vent tube for kinks as some vehicles came from the factory with the kinked tube which they say will cause failure of the front axle )

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I just always smell something wierd burning almost... Real wierd smell... Dont really know how to describe it... Never got any notification.. where is this vent tube located?

3. scottL

Pop your hood and the vent tube should be on the drivers side. It comes up from the axle routes near the frame rail and ties off near the fuse box. Should be a rubber hose with a black end cap no thicker than the windshield fluid hose.

( I've had burning plastic smell from time to time but, wasn't sure about that one either )

4. michdeere

michdeere Member

My '08 cc Duramax does the same thing. Got the notice on the vent tube and checked...wasn't kinked. Not sure what to do next. I'll have the dealer check it at first oil change I guess.

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Extend the hose and route it up near the radiator.

6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Scott, i haven't smelled anything from my NBS 07 2500HD , the company i work for just got a bunch of these fleet vehicles and IMO this truck is a POS its a gas hog like no other,

7. scottL

I think there are a few features which could have been thought out differently. I have the 6.0L but, I went with the .383 ( not .411 ) rear gear as I knew the engine had the power. My gas mileage is really better than my older 5.7L with .411.

8. iceman563

iceman563 Junior Member
    from mi

hey i have a 2007 3500HD NBS looks like you do too. with the wideout it sites real low to the ground. DID YOU CRANK THE T-BARS UP AT ALL? If so, what about the warenty?

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What does warranty have to do with adjusting your tbars?

10. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Hmm. Maybe the re-route still isn't re-routed enough?

What does your post have to do with axles smelling while in 4WD!?!? Don't jack a thread...search or create your own.