1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 GMC 3500 Air Bag Sensor Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KatWalk, Mar 22, 2010.

1. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

07 GMC 3500 dually dump-gas. Bought brand new March of 2007. Currently has 14k miles. Last March 09, I went to get an inspection sticker and the station failed the truck due to a safety issue, the air bag light was on the dash cluster. I brought it to the local dealer who went through misc. things and said that they replaced the sensing and diagnostic module. Approx. 6 months later the light came back on. I dragged my feet on getting back to the dealer until now. Dealer told me over the phone that there is an open recall on the air bag sensor, bring it in. Dealer tells me that the tech. put the truck on the computer and all the codes coming back are indicating that there is a failure and that it is caused by after market parts, and that the warranty does not cover it. After market includes the 9' Fisher plow that was dealer installed before the day I drove it off the lot. I asked the guy if I could see the computer codes and read his GM manual that says that it is from the after market stuff. He said no, insurance company does not let anybody in the shop and I would have to see the codes when the truck was plugged in. Sorry to be long winded, does this make any sense? Thanks for any help. :confused:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a line of BS to me.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Go to another dealer!
  4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Scan tools do not, in plain english, state that aftermarket parts cause the problem. In any of the paperwork, did they happen to right down any trouble codes that were pulled? Ask them to give you a list of them. If not, take it to another dealer or a shop and ask for the list of codes in the truck. If the techs are any good to begin with, any codes pulled should always be written on repair orders...allows writers and managers to explain to the customer the situation.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I have a 2007 3500 that I bought new in October of 2007. It is on its fourth air bag computer. The plow was installed aftermarket but I brought the truck to the dealer with the plow on it, after the second failure. The dealer confirmed and documented that the plow was installed properly.

The recall that was done last fall along with the fourth computer replacement was just putting a foam pad under the sensor that is under the driver seat to prevent direct moisture. It literally was nothing more than sliding a pad under the computer sensor.

I am getting quite worried about after warranty ends and how much I will have to pay for repairs.
  6. plowking15

plowking15 Member

The recall done on my 07 2500 HD,they removed the covering off the computer under drivers seat. I didn't have a problem. Guess the snow,water from under your feet can get to the padding around computer. I have a floor tray instead of a floor mat to catch any runoff from my shoes. Recall was done in 10 minutes. plowking