1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 GMC 1500 would this be a worthy plow truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jay Landscaping, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jay Landscaping

Jay Landscaping Junior Member

I've been shopping around for a second dump truck for my landscaping business and I came across a GMC 1500 that I am thinking about buying. It's not a dumper but I could get a dump insert for my chevy 2500 for this up coming season and use this truck as my personal/ plow truck. I already have a plow for my 2500 and it would be nice to have a second one going for next Winter.

I'm just wondering if the 1500 can handle the work load. It would be used to plow driveways. I'd probably buy a boss 7.5 super duty straight blade. The truck has the 4.8L V8 and does not have the snow prep package. Maybe I could beaf up the suspension to help handle the load. I test drove it today and it had some good power.

Thanks for the help!!

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My 2002 Chevy 1500 4.8L reg. cab long box with a 7.5' Fisher SD plows great. The front end dips down quite a bit for a 500lb plow but, If you run ballast you should be all set.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I don't know what you plan on doing with the dump insert, but your payload capacity won't be very much especially after you consider the weight of the dump insert.

If you are just hauling brush and maybe some grass clippings then you'll be OK.

Just food for thought.

4. Jay Landscaping

Jay Landscaping Junior Member

The dump bed will go in the 2500. It has a maximum payload of 3892 lbs so about 3000 with the weight of a dump bed maybe more with an aluminum dumper. It would be used for grass, mulch, leaves, etc nothing too heavy. I have a 3500hd dump to haul the heavier stuff.

I'm just wondering how the 1500 would perform.
  5. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab with the 5.3. I have an 8' Hiniker on the front of it and the front end barley dips.