1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 GM 6.0 5 speed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Jan 9, 2011.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

My truck has been giving me a couple of fits with some wiring issues. Seems to me a electrical nightmare. I can trade it for a regular cab long bed, the configuration I want. But it has the 5 speed, I believe it is a NV4500. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this combo, good for plowing? It has 4:10's. It is a base truck, no PW or PL, but is in decent condition, has 122k on it and seems to run out very well. I can get it for 11k out the door. The only problem I have is the hour meter has 34 hours on it?? Can it be hooked up to a computer to find out the actual hours? Any help would be much appreciated, Ill post some pictures tomorrow of it.

2. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I would personally stay away from the nv4500 if you have any driveways, the 4l80 is a much more solid choice.

Although it is 2007.. so its up to you bud!

3. RCsLawncare

I keep hearing these Trannys are so soild, is it the clutch? Or the actually tranny? I just want a reliable truck

4. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

I guess you could do a manual-> auto swap but you'd probably spend half of your purchase price trying to do it. The nv4500 is a great tranny and I would definitely suggest it if you LOVE driving standard but I don't want the hassle of a clutch in my plow truck, been there done that.

5. RCsLawncare

Yea, I don't mind the stick, I just wanted to make sure it would take the forward and reverse constant stress. I know the clutch will wear out, not worried about that. Thanks for the replies!!

6. RCsLawncare

Went ahead and bought it. I'll post some pictures tonight of it. Hopefully it will be a good truck for me.

7. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Is that the last year GM offered an NON automatic Trans ?