1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 f550

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DBFlawn, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Hi all

Me and my friend are having a little argument about our buddys truck. I might be wrong or he might me right.

Okay heres what we are arguing about. A buddy of ours has a 2007 F550 Powerstroke and I said to him one day hey why don't you put a plow on that thing. He said I don't know. Then My other friend the one that doesn't own the truck "you cant plow with 2wd"

What I would like to know is can you plow with a 2007 F550 Powerstroke with with good snow tires and a little bit of ballast.

I think he can while my friends make it seem like its impossible.

Thanks in advance everyone

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I wouldn't do it but a ton of ballast in wide open lots would work, he'll get stuck in tiny resis. Or make a salter out of it. But 4x4 would work way better. JMO

3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Yeah I get what your saying and I knew before I even posted that 4x4 was better. The point I'm trying to make to him is that it is possible, it will work, and that you can plow with a 2wd truck.

4. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

There are a ton of plow trucks in my area that are 2 wheel drive duallys. I only put my F350 in 4x4 when its icy or if the snow is deep. Our school districts used 2 wheel drive pick-up trucks for years. Its all about plowing your way in and not getting yourself in situations you can't get out of. I would do it if I already had the truck, why not. Whats the worse that would happen, get a shovel or a tow strap.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It possible but dumb.

You're going to need a lot of ballast.

You won't be able to stack the snow well.

You will get stuck.

In deep, heavy snow, it's just not going to be worth it.

6. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Yeah I understand. And yes he already has the truck and with a $700.00 a month truck payment I dont think hes gonna get rid of it anytime soon.

7. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

1. I understand your deffinatly need ballast but I can see it being to the point where the truck is over loaded.

2. Thats always an issue but once you get used to how the truck plow and what it can and can not do I wouldnt see this as a HUGE problem. But I could be wrong.

3. What about with some momentum? I mean its an F550 Powerstoke. Hes not gonna be doing drives with it. If he did it he would be doing big comercial lot like walmart and such places.

Thanks for everyones help so far

8. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I would honestly go for it, I plowed with 2wd for 3 years, because the 4x4 was broken and the truck was so dead it wasnt worth fixing. This was a half ton chevrolet, and your buddy has an f550. Thats a pretty mad heavy truck to start with. As long as he doesnt put too huge of a plow, and keeps alot of weight in the back he should be good. Just stay away from hills, and when the snow is going to be deep scrape twice, and get good tires. Put lots of weight. Again with the momentum is also good.

9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I would do it. My 550 is 4x4, but I haven't used 4x4 in a year as my front driveshaft went bad. I'm not plowing with it but pulling a bobcat trailer in the snow.

I had a friend that plowed for two years with a C30 SRW 4x2.

You can get a 4x4 stuck too. (I know from experience.)

All the Township trucks around here are 4x2 pushing 10 or 12 foot blades.

You can put 4 ton of weight or more in the back of that truck with the plow on front and not be over weight.

I think it would make a good truck for large lots with a responsible driver.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i saw a video on here of a guy w/ a pontiac 6000 station wagon w/ a v plow on it. he did all right.

i say go for it.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

And what was this guy plowing? Let me guess, a driveway. With an F550 you are going to be looking at commercial lots and I can tell you that once you windrow enough snow to the side you are going to have major trouble continuing to push it out of the way.