1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 f-250 5.4 ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

Does that truck.engine combo have enough power to be a good plow truck with a 8 foot straight blade?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It have 4x4? what gear ratio? 4.10 then it would have plenty but it would run out traction.

If you have 3.73 gear ratio it would have little trouble.

Does it have extended cab?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

it is one im looking at it does have the 4:10 and its a extended cab not the crew and 4x4

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Doesn't matter what gear ratio.....It will push snow but will be a little under-powered in the really wet heavy stuff.....Use 4low if needed.

It will have MORE problems with this ratio

No such thing as a "super crew cab"......it is either a crew cab or an extended cab.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You will definitely be better off with the 4.10 for plowing or towing. I wouldn't even consider a 3.73 for plowing.

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Not even a problem. I had an 810 on my 03 reg. cab f-350 w/a 5.4. I will be he first to admit that truck was a dog but it never ran out of power plowing snow. I could push a full load of snow and still end up breaking traction ( full pallet in the bed) ever before running out of power. Yes I only use 4 high to plow ! The 07 has a 3-valve( tons more power) and the 5 speed auto wich is a huge difference over my old 03. My truck had a 3:73 and the weak motor so an 8' straight will not be an issue at all !!! Good Luck , shaun !!!

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should I post a picture of my Ford with the 5.4 and how much snow it can push?:D

8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I like pictures, lets see how much snow a 5.4 can push !!!

9. grandview

Tim you don't look at these pictures!

10-12-06 snow pixs 035 (Small) (Small) (Small).jpg

10-12-06 snow pixs 037 (Small) (Small).jpg

10-12-06 snow pixs 032 (Small) (Small) (Small) (Small).jpg

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

As underpowered as they are, they can still push snow.

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Lol....I will go ahead and ask when was that storm Grandpa? Those pic's are so new to me!:dizzy:
    [​IMG]

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

GV when are those picture from

13. Milwaukee

Wow that have plenty power. what gear ratio? 4.10?

How long you plow that? 1-3 hours?

14. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

5.4L with 4.10 will be about like a V-10 with 3.73's. You will be fine, but I hope you like 9mpg at 70 mph. If your goin gas get a V-10 in the super duty's Your check book will thank you

15. grandview

45 minutes Mill.

16. Milwaukee

But to me it look lot snow to push.

Good job on that. What gear ratio on that?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  17. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Absolutely!

I have a 2004 250 with the 5.4, with an 8' straight blade. She has no problems pushing in 4wd. Make sure you have enough ballast, and you'll be fine! I've done both residential and commercial lots with my truck, with no problems.

18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i don't know what kind of tires you all are running to run out of power.......we have some halfton's with small V-8's and they run out of traction wayyyyyyy before they run out of power. (and mill before you ask i dont have a clue what the Frekin gear ratio is, :rolleyes:)

most of our are deisel but with all the emision B/S i think GAS maybe the way to go from here on out :nod: or atleast till they get the deisel's getting better than 9mpg :dizzy: lol

PJ

19. Milwaukee

Gear in diff on rear and front axle.

If you have low gear ratio mean no power but it roll faster but if you have high gear ratio it have more power.

Let me ask why not you put 3.00 in GM 3500 HD you have? Let us know how it work. it would roll but engine work hard like it run out of power.

let me know how 3.00 gear ratio work on GM 3500 HD.

20. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Our 08 durmax gets close to 20mpg