1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 Chevy Silverado HD2500 Diesel Overheating

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Oasis, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok I know this question has been asked before but I have a 2007 chevy and its a diesel. Plus there seems to be a bit of conflicting advice. After Walker finally put on my new Western 7.6 plow and spreader I am finding that my truck is running at very high temperatures. If I lower the plow and angle it it reduces a little bit but not nearly enough for me to be comfortable. I do drive in tow/haul mode and that keeps it a bit lower but again it is still high in my oppinion. My transmission digital meter is reading as high as 90. Is this too high? Are there any suggestions on how to reduce the temperature of the engine.

2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Have Dealer Check it out

I would return to dealer.... it's not normal.... if anything it should run below up to normal on the guage. My 2001 has never given me a lick of trouble and has never gotten hot...

My guess you could have some airlock in your system...

Al

3. StratfordPusher

Things to check

Fan operation.... are they working ? if so check for an airlock in your cooling system. failing that are you losing any anti-freeze ? if so you have a leaking head gasket...
    With 200,000 working and plowing k's on my 2001 with a full 9' Boss vee plow and 1 yd sander and I have never even seen it get warm....

Perhaps a trip to the dealer is in order... you don't want to take out the head gaskets by over heating it.

Running in tow/haul will increase engine and transmission heat greatly, try running in "D" and see if it helps... also, run with your plow as high as it goes, you will get more air coming under the truck, angle will help with the wind

90c for your trans is a little high, mine runs half that normally in the winter....

Good luck and let us know if you find the fix..

Al

4. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

shouldnt i be driving in tow/haul considering i travel with a full load of salt in my spreader?

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Did you take the cold front off when you put the plow on?

Raise the plow so its about 6" off the ground.

6. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

What is high temps to you?? 90 degrees is nothing for a transmission! I have ran my above 210 in the summer pulling a skid.

7. NBI Lawn

210 !!!??? it didnt melt together? Time for a bigger cooler and a mag-hytec pan.

90 isnt anything to be worried about though

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you only go with a 7.5 ft. Did Walker in Streetville put it on. I wouldn't worry about it too much, my LMM runs a little warmer then my 02. I never run in tow haul unless I'm pulling or in the lot plowing.

9. StratfordPusher

When needed

I only use it as needed, such as being fully over loaded with sand/salt
    and starting from a dead stop on inclines, once I am up to traffic speed I switch it off until I need it again. I am a owner operator so I don't tend to work my old gal too hard if I can help it

Goodluck

Al

10. Half - Bucket

Half - Bucket Junior Member

over heating

I think there something wrong with the truck. I had a chevy 04 with 6.6 duramax 3500 dually dump truck 8.5 western, henderson tailgate spreader 5 ton of salt , run about 195 to 200 degree's up and down the road all day long

11. Half - Bucket

tow / hall mode

if you haulling any weight that so that you need difference shift points and creates back presure to help stop truck like a jake brake on semi

12. Half - Bucket

traveling with the plow

it needs to be about 8" to 10" up, to slam the air on the road so then it bounces up behind the plow then goes into the truck

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

210 .... NUTS! Trans fluid life drops drastically around 200. Do some google search on tci. It has a nice rule of thumb. I know on the new body style 2500hd somewhere above 200 the engine power gets lowered.

Trans 90-180 depends on what your doing. Engine temp ... make sure you have the large fan clutch.

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I still say that if someone made an after market foil like what Blizzard makes (or made), they would make a killing. It is just too simple and cheap.

15. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

What are you thinking is high for the engine? If your tranny is only getting to 90deg F then you are on the cold side, if you are talking 90deg C then you are talking 194 F and that is a little on the warm side. Neither is too horrible. I'm running with an 8' plow and the upper (grill only) winter cover. It's been up to 40deg and my gauges run the same as if it was a 90deg summer day and I'm running unloaded.

16. NBI Lawn

Good catch, I didnt notice he was from Canada.

17. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

i hate sounding stupid, but whats a cold front?

18. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Sorry i should have specified that ya im a tymusic so its 90 C

19. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

and the name is Adam or Oasis "I hate HE" sorry a quirk

20. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

so not at max high position?