1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007 c5500 starting issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by todddude, Feb 8, 2012.

1. todddude

todddude Junior Member

I have a 2007 C5500 with an Xblade. The other morning it fired up, ran for about 5 seconds then shut down. Tried it numerous times but it would just crank over but no start. I put Deisel 911 in and it was plugged in. No idea what happened. It started once more then shut down quickly again.

After sun up I check it out more, manually primed the fuel filter & fuel was running out the bottom of a small clear valve. Never saw that before. But a few minutes later it fired up & has been running fine. Also there was almost a full tank of fuel. I say that because thats what it sounded like....like it ran out of fuel.

Anyone ever have the same issue?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What was the temp the night before? Do you routinely use PS Antigel (not diesel 911, the stuff in the white bottle)? Most recent fuel filter change (mileage)? When you say "small clear valve"- do you mean the WTF sensor valve on the bottom of the fuel filter?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Good chance your fuel filter has water in it and it froze. I would change it.

4. todddude

todddude Junior Member

The temp was down to about 25* and we put the additive in on a regular basis, 911 only in this situation. Had a late summer service done with new filter (August) But we have another service planned for mid week. I will be putting in a new filter.

The little white WTF valve is just that....wtf....had fluid running out but now none since. Just think it was the first cold night, bad fuel, and of course the first real snow over 3" here all season! When trucks just sit things go wrong.

Thanks for the info, it was a big help. Anyone else use the 5500 series for plowing? I think they work better than most pickups & small dumps I have ever used. Other than freaking out clients with small driveways they work great. Awesome turning radius & great traction.

5. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

Sounds like air in the fuel line
    The WIF sensor on bottom of fuel filter can get cross threaded and let air in or the sensor it self can get hairline cracks and lets air in there is a delete plug for it
    or check your bleeder screw on top of fuel filter housing those are plastic and crack as well. Good luck
    dmaxstore.com has all the stuff mentioned above