1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2007.5 NBS water leak - compartment air intake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scottL, Mar 22, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, Yet another issue with the NBS silverado's.

Thought my drivers side carpet was wet because of snow melt from my boots and these wimpy floor matts. After days of letting it air dry I finally pulled back the edge plastic, carpet and rubber sound matt on the drivers side ..... With a wet dry vac I pulled out a little over a gallon of water!!! :angry:

No salt residue as I would have expected if it were from my boots. After a little digging I found that every rain or melt I was taking on water - just on the drivers floor.

Pulled off the plastic trim where the wiper blades are and looked around. On the passenger side is the fresh air intake. Above it is a semi-permanent metal cover with a foam seal. The seal has failed on my truck and allows the water to drip right into the fresh air intake and the path flows right to the drivers floor board area.

A bunch of black sealant and the leak is fixed. It will probably take days for the rest to air dry with a fan. :cry:

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I read on another forum that there is a problem with this on the 07 and 08 chevy's. I also think thereis a tsb for it I'll try to dig it up again for you and post it.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

This is also a problem on the OBS trucks. My 98 K3500 had all kinds of water under the carpet on the passenger side. The floor pan was starting to get some surface rust on it. My black plastic cowl at the base of the windshield was missing some screws and the water was going down the air intake into the cab of the truck. I installed some new screws and siliconed over the top of them and so far I haven't found any leaks.

5. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I have to check mine because I had the same thing after the last storm but I though it was off my boots. Mine was on both side but hasn't happened since so I'll have to check, also check the 3 roof cab lights mine was pouring water in. So far I'm not happy with my nbs truck.

6. scottL

thanks for the link. I'll have to double check the rear cab vents too!. I knew they existed and they must help because my winds hardly get any fog in the winter but, the leaks .... I better cut 'em off at the pass before those fail too.

7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

That is insane! Im looking at a 2007 or 2008 silverado and now im hearing this problem. I was searching and found another big problem with the new models. Found a forum that was talking about the battery dying??? aparently this is very common and lots of guys are experiencing it with trucks that have under 20,000 on it:dizzy: And here is the kicker, GM has no fix for it at the time just replacing loads of batteries:dizzy::eek::confused:

Here is the link. Its the one that says "2007 nbs Silverado battery rundown"

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-21-p-11.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. scottL

wow battery run down. that's a new one I've not heard before. I have a dual battery setup as I ordered it from the factory. I also have run my warning lights for an hour or so with out the engine on, radio, etc. I guess I'm lucky so far.

9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

It might be because of your dual battery setup that it has not affected you. I was looking at getting one, a 2007 or 2008, but now I hear about these problems. Every car has its problems especially the new ones. I hope its only an isolated incident. Good luck with your truck and I hope it does not happen to you.

10. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

My 07 GMC nbs battery would die if it sat for a day. This only happened for about a month but at least twice a week some times even over night. Took it to the dealer and they gave me the operating within GM's specifications. It then went away and has not gone dead since last summer. GM should put in every truck a spare tire, jack and a set of jumper cables.