1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Tacoma or Colorado?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sportsman500??, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Hey guys. At a local used car dealership, there is both a 2006 tacoma and a 2006 colorado (both crew cab, automatic). I do want to put a plow on it. Which is better with a plow (performance/ease of installation/cost)?

Plus, which is better overall? I will be towing a 5x10 trailer, loading bikes in the back, plowing, and also going offroad occasionally. The inside of the Tacoma is quite a bit more appealing.
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

colorado all the way, just my opinion
  3. mstapper

mstapper Junior Member
    from Iowa

I had an 08 Tacoma, I hauled big loads (for this size of truck) and it did great. I literally beat my truck at times last winter, it jumped snow banks, and hauled way more than it should have and it did great. I loved the truck. Definitely go Tacoma!
  4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

definately tacoma. before i upgraded to my diesel f250, had a 07 tacoma extended cab. it was a great truck. very comfortable, tons of power, great mileage and of course toyota reliablility. you wont be sorry with that tacoma. :drinkup:
  5. bear430

bear430 Junior Member

Before I bought my Tundra I had an 08 Tacoma. What an awesome truck. The engine was bullet proof, it could tow pretty much anything. I just needed more room in the bed, thats why I went with the Tundra, which by the way I couldn't be happier with. Go Tacoma for sure!
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What do you have for a plow on your Tundra? You should post pics of it with the plow. I love my Tundra it handles the plow great.
  7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I have a 2006 tacoma, extended cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

I've plowed 3 years with it with a Meyer drive pro plow.

It will need a clutch before plowing this year. But I will plow with it.

No truck failures to date. Not one.

I can't speak too much about the chevy as I haven't owned one, but I suggest you drive both and compare. I did. You couldn't give me one of those cheaply made colorados. It feels like you're driving a plastic container. To each their own I guess.

The only rub I have with the tacoma is the way they make the 4 low switch selector. It's difficult to shift into 4 low. Shifting into 4 hi or back to 2wd is no problem.

My next truck will be another tacoma. I don't care if it costs 75% more than the colorado. It's worth it at 2am when you're by yourself on a back road in a snowstorm.

The meyer plow is OK if you never let it sit for 2 weeks in the summer. I'd look hard at anothewer plow other than the drive pro. Its tough enough but they cant make a control configuration worth crap. I'm looking at a sno-way next time. The down pressure sounds like a real plus for a small plow and I havent seen a lot of complaints about sno-way in genertal on this forum. Plowsite is a great resource when it comes to bringing out positive anbd negative things with plows. :waving:
  8. bear430

bear430 Junior Member

Im still debating about the plow I'm going to but on it. Im pretty sure its going to be a Western Midweight. I'm debating seel or poly. Im thinking Im going to go with steel but it's still kind of up in the air.
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 7.5' Fisher SD on my Tundra. The Fisher SD is basicaly the same thing as the Western Midweight. Steel is the way to go IMO. You should stay away from the Western HTS IMO.
  10. bear430

bear430 Junior Member

I originally wanted the HTS but was talked into the Midweight by my dealer. I think it was a good choice. And I think im going to go with the steel w/ backdrag edge and shoes. Im pretty sure thats going to be it.
  11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

After owning 2 poly blades and then a steel one... I see absolutly not 1 good reason why someone would run steel over a poly blade......
  12. bear430

bear430 Junior Member

Basically the fading is what I've been hearing.
  13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada