1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Silverado amps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by btammo, Nov 22, 2008.

1. btammo

btammo Member

I have a 2006 Silverado crew cab that we plow with. For some reason when the plow is raised it draws down to almost 9-10 amps and sometimes I get wierd messages about my airbag service and abs message and some lights flash. Under warranty I brought it in they put new battery and alternator in it.....still same. Service bulletin says amps vary while charging but that really isnt my problem. Actually if I just push the button quickly, the amps continue to go down even after letting off the button. ALmost like it takes a second to recover from the draw. Plow is a meyers E-57. I have no idea what problem is, but it doesnt happen every time. Warranty is up in 2000 miles so I would like to get it fixed...(Hopefully). ANyone have the same problems? Would adding another battery help? I have the biggest alternator that can fit on that truck....:confused:

2. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I'm sure you mean volts not amps. It doesn't sound like a problem with the truck, if both the battery and the alt have been replaced. I'm not familiar with your plow, but I'd say your either have a really poor connection or there is a problem with the pump. The fact that it still draws the voltage down after the button is released is odd. Maybe your solenoid is burnt up. Carbon build up could be keeping the connection even after you release the button, and would also create a high resistance connection, which would make it draw more. Kind of a shot in the dark though.

3. btammo

btammo Member

Of course...volts. My mind is lost.

Yeah Odd.....that is what I have been telling myself. I guess I can try to clean the solenoids to make sure of good connection. I ran the plow on a different truck no such problems, and then put it on this one.

4. Riccas

Riccas Member

If it worked fine on another truck then its the truck side. If the truck doesn't act this way with voltage when you start it or have all electronics going its likely the truck side wiring harness for the plow. I would start there. Look at major components such as the solonoid and relays. Then move on to the thicker gauge wiring and smaller gauge.