1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Sierra 4WD Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC2006, Mar 4, 2007.

1. GMC2006

GMC2006 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hello just registerd today been searchin through the threads for a while now. hopefully you guys can help me here, 2006 GMC Seirra Reg Cab 4wd have a weird noise in the front end of my truck when accelerateing in 4wd turning left or right, what do you guys think U-joints, or one of the cv joints any help would be ippricated thanks Brad

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have auto locking hubs or manual? If manual move them to free.

3. GMC2006

GMC2006 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Autolocking hubs

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry don't know. I have the ford with manual hubs and it makes some noise when they are locked and you do tight turns.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Since it is a 2006, you have a warranty. Take it back to the dealer and make them look at it and fix it if anything is wrong. Chevy/GMC front axles have a "hum" to them when in 4x4
    The harder you hit the gas, the louder it can get. But I would most def. take it to the dealer since it is an 06'
    Ohh, and Chevy/GMC hasnt had manual lock hubs since 1987 when they had solid front axles. Now with the new IFS, there is an actuator on the axle the engages the hubs to lock

6. GMC2006

GMC2006 Junior Member
    from Ontario

That was my plan take it into the dealer tomorrow just wondered if anybody else has had a problem and knew what it was. thanks

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

All I know is that myn hum like crazy while turning slightly is this normal or should they be quiet?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While a vehicle is traveling down the road, the tires rotate a certain number of times per mile depending on the true tire radius. If all the tires do not have the exact same true radius (due to load, tire pressure, wear, build variances...), they will turn at slightly different rates. Also, unless the vehicle is traveling in a perfectly straight line, the front and rear axles are traveling in a slightly different arc, which means the front and rear axles are traveling at slightly different average speeds.

These systems either do not have a center differential or it has been bypassed (when used in 4HI or 4LO in Part-Time or Automatic systems, or 4HI Lock or 4LO Lock on Full-time 4WD), so the front and the rear propeller shafts will turn at the same speed, which leads to the front, and rear axles rotating at the same average speed. Using the 4WD modes (4HI, 4LO, 4HI Lock, 4LO Lock) will usually increase noise in the axles, transfer case and the rest of the driveline and is usually greater at higher speeds and will usually increase the more the vehicle is turned. As the vehicle turns, the front and rear axles follow a different arc. When this occurs, the only place to compensate for this binding is between the contact patch of the tires and the ground. This can feel like the vehicle is vibrating, crow hopping or grabbing. Even if the vehicle is driven in a straight line, there are slight differences in tire circumference that will cause some driveline binding. If a vehicle had the exact same size tires and was driven in a perfectly straight line, the fact that more parts are moving would mean that there would be more noise and possibly some feel of the system operating.

On a low traction surface, the differences in front and rear axle speeds will not have as much effect on binding because of the lower traction levels between the surface and the contact patch of the tires. On a high traction surface, the higher traction levels will create more binding in the driveline.

As a result, a certain amount of noise or feel of the system operating can be expected when using 4HI or 4LO in Part-Time systems. The noise and feel can vary depending on the transfer case type, GVW ratings (generally the higher the GVW the more noise it will make), vehicle build variations, gear ratios in the axles, axle type, tires, and importantly driving conditions. So in other word's, unless the noise is severe, the dealer's gonna tell you that it's normal.

9. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I drive all chevy and GMCs for work and they all make a pretty lound hum in 4x4. They are an 05 2500HD, 03 2500HD, and a 04 3500.