1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 RAM 2500 rocker switch panels

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bkspear, May 25, 2016.

1. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

Hello all,
    I have two rocker switch panels that I need to install somewhere for controlling lights. Can anyone provide ideas or suggestions on where to install them on a 2006 RAM 2500 model? Thanks.
  2. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

On the overhead... depending on the switch you can fit 6-8. Or the grab handle pillar. I'm doing the same thing.
    I also ordered:
    Pilot PL-SW16 4 Way Gel Panel Switch
    Not sure where I'm putting it.
    Also have:
    Pilot PL-SW29 4 Channel Wireless Remote Switch

along with a bunch of small rocker switches - everything from amazon:
    12pc OLS 12V DC 25 Amp On/Off Rocker Switch IP65 Waterproof 3P SPST Red LED Indicator
    HOTSYSTEM 10PC New 20A 12V Round Rocker Toggle Switch Green LED SPST For All
    E Support Heavy Duty 20A 125V 15A 250V SPST 2 Terminal Pin ON/OFF Rocker Toggle Switch Metal Bat Waterproof Boot Cap Cover Black Pack of 5

I ordered the switches in the winter and spring... now installing them.
    I'm putting the fuel filter heater near the fuel gauge.
  3. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure the overhead install would work for me. I have two separate switch panels that contain 5 switches each, they are not individual rocker switches. Can you show me an example of what you are referring to ? Thanks!
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can you post what your working with?
    10 switches is a lot.

Auto or manual? 4x4 on the floor?
  5. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

Sorry, total of 8 switches, 4 switches per panel. I have one switch panel to control on/off and flash pattern select on front and rear strobes and the other panel controls the traffic advisor only. I will attach photos as you requested of the switch panels. Oh, also, it is 4x4 and automatic. I can post a photo of the dash/console setup if that helps. You will see the custom mount for my 2m/440 radio as well. Thanks.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok what about moving the cb into that slot right behind it, and putting the switchs where it's at now?
    Or making a custom switch box for them all.
  7. bkspear

bkspear Junior Member

The radio would not fit into that slot, its too wide. Also, because it outputs 50W, it would have restricted airflow for cooling and possibly overheat (see large heatsink on the back of the radio). I am open to the idea of a custom switch panel, but still back to my original question of where to mount it. :)
  8. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Hitting 10 switches isn't hard...
    flasher/beacon light
    rear flood/backup lights
    front driving lights
    front take down lights
    inside back window fan
    fuel filter heaters
    left and right flood
    spreader vibrator
    seat heaters
    spreader light
    air compressor
    bed lights
    torque converter lockup

just to name a few...

I forgot, if you have a Edge CTS2 or similar you can control anything with that. But you gotta buy their $100 harness to add it.
    my main thought:
    but there is also:
    bunches of ideas.
    google: dodge ram overhead switch

some people mount switches on the side of the center console near the floor...
    cummins forum has a few ideas.
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  9. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

and don't forget you can use cat5/cat6 to trigger the relays... (one "wire" for 4 switches)