1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 lbz

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by diesel dust, May 31, 2006.

1. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

I have a 2006 gmc 2500 ext cab short bed diesel fisher says 7 1/2" plow only. But i need a 8' what do think i can do to help the front end.wesport

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

consider either another make plow (that's lighter then the Fisher) or a different truck.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

A 2500 should handle more than a 7.5 blade. Check your torsion bar ratings and that you have an additional trans cooler. Then with the short bead it may be just that you need counter weight to be safe. I've used sno-way since '97 on a k3500 and the plow rocks.

4. Geez Basher, take it easy there. If you don't like or even own a GMC or Chevy, why are you posting in this section?

Diesel Dust,
    It makes a difference if you have an HD and snowplow prep or not, from your post I will assume you don't. It's an '06, so you've got warranty issues to worry about. If you do a search in this section there are many suggestions as to how to beef up your front end with torsion bar adjustment and Timbrens etc. There are many guys here on this forum that are experts at suggesting modifications and alternatives for you to put a larger plow on your new truck. Since you are from Mass and New England you know that the overwhelming choice for plows is Fisher around here. You see a few Blizzards and Diamonds around but most everything is Fisher around here. Good Luck. I sure someone else will chime in.

5. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

Truck has plow pkg that adds h.d. torsion bars 145 amp alt wiring for roof lights. Additional trans cooler? Must be the short bed?

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The reason for only a 7 1/2 ft is because of the wieght of the diesel motor. They are alot more heavier then a gas motor. You can run an 8ft no problem. I would adjust the T-bars a couple turns and get a set of Timbrens for the front of the truck. Your dealership shouldn't give you any grief about the plow seeing that you have the factory plow package, unless they are the ones installing it. I'm wishing that I went with an 8ft for my 01 HD but I am going to get a set of wings. That is something else that you could do is add a set of wings. Make sure to run a few hundred lbs of ballast in the back end. That will help out as well.

Will

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

The easy, no explanation answer is the truck will throw anything you throw at it. Might want to crank the torsion bars but I wouldn't worry about anything else. Personally, I would probably run a 9'.

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive got a 8.5ft. V plow on my duramax and it carries it with no problem.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would think a 7.5' would just be way too small. I don't know why it would even be recommended, especially with an extended cab. You will never clear those rear wheels.

10. xeonpro

xeonpro Member

I've got the same front end as you and I run a 9' SS Xblade w/o issues so far :-D ...i did crank the torsion bars 4 turns for winter use.

11. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Same here I have a 9ft X-blade on a 2500hd reg cab. Fisher said I could only get the 9ft regular plow. I opted to get the X anyways. Plus Chevy cant tell whether the truck has a 9ft or a 7.5? I put 1000lbs in the bed, as well as 4 cranks on the t-bars and also run timbrens in the front.

As far as plows its Fisher or forget it!