1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 gmc sierra 4x4 wont shift out of 4x4 hi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by boomer58, Mar 9, 2016.

1. boomer58

boomer58 Junior Member

I have a 2006 gmc 4x4 that is stuck in 4hi - the 4x4 hi light is on and the switch wont switch to a different position. Is this probably a module issue or a switch issue. this is the first time I have run into this issue. thanks for any help I can get
  2. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

When you push the button, does the light just blink then go solid? Check all the fuses. I say all because I don't know which one exactly. Most common is either the front axle actuator or the decoder motor on the transfer case.
  3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

my guess is the encoder motor on the transfercase. If not used often, they will corrode internally causing them to fail once switched. Keep trying, sometimes they will go back, but if stuck, likely that is what you are looking at. Three main items to the electronic 4x4s. Encoder motor, TCCM (transfer case control module) and the switch itself. The first two can get expensive and ive seen a lot of encoder motors go bad, but you could try a switch as they are available almost anywhere.
  4. boomer58

boomer58 Junior Member

2006 transfer case issue

thanks for the feedback - i'm pretty sure the switch is bad - there seems to be a dark spot on the circuit board so I ordered a new switch and i'll try that first. Thanks again