1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 gmc, dually, duramax, front end troubles ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, I looking at a truck that id like to purchase for snow plowing.

Its a 2006, gmc sierra, 3500, duramax 4x4, extended cab, longbox.
    It has 130,000 kms & selling for $25,000.canadian.

Im just read that the front ends on these trucks are weak. Not rated for snow plowing.
    If anyone has any advice or opinions Id appreciate hearing it.

Also, just wondeing if there are any other known problems or things I should look for in regards to this truck. Icurrently run a 1996, 2500, 6.5 turbo. Its been alright, just had an injection pump installed.

For under $25,000 there really isnt that much out there

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The front ends are not weak. If you don't like how far the plow brings the front end down, then turn up the t-bars a bit. My plow dropped my front end 1". Turned the t-bars up 3-4 turns. Alot of chevy trucks leave the lot with the bars set to low. You will not break parts because of the plow.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I own an '07 SRW 3500 with dump 140,000Km 900# plow, never had an issue with the front end. Usually comes down to the operator, seen a lot of guys on here with beat to snot plows, complaining about weak chevy front ends. (Also have a '96 same setup no issues.)

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have run 9 foot plows on my Chevys for years. They are fine. You will wear out parts, but $200 in parts for the front end every couple of years to ride in a comfortable truck all year round is worth it to me.

Even better, put a set of tie rod sleeves and cognito braces and you won't even wear out those parts.

One question with you 6.5, did you relocate the PMD? (pump mounted driver) A bad PMD is commonly misdiagnosed as a bad injection pump It is very commonly the PMD goes on the fritz. Chevy had a poor design on the 6.5's that had the brains of the injection pump mounted in a poor location that in turn gets hot and fries the brains of the pump. Thus causing sputtering, stalling, and bucking. If you have not yet, you need to move the PMD on your new injection pump out to the grill or else it is not a matter of if it will go out again, but when it will go out again.

You can buy the relocation harness, heatsink, and a new PMD box on ebay for less than $200.

Sorry I got a little bit off topic, but I hate when shops misdiagnose the PMD problem and charge big $ to change the injection pump when all that it is is a $200 part.

5. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi Philbilly,

I had the injection pump & module replaced last year. The truck had 300,000 kms on it.
    About 3 - 4 months ago, I started noticing that it once again started cutting out on me while I was driving & even stalling completely while I was driving sometimes.
    If Im driving and pressing the gas pedal, the truck will almost shut down & then turn back on again,,, all while driving 70 - 80 kms. If I wasnt pushing the gas, she'd shut right down & Id have to roll to a stop.

I took it back to the shop that replaced the pump last year. After repairing a fuel line, & also trying a used module that he had, the truck still stalled out on me.
    He promised to get me a new pump & module as it should still be under warranty. I will ask him to relocate the module and your right, its in a bad location, very close to the manifold. Bad design i guess, but I did get 300,000 kms on the original one.

The trouble I have with it also, is that it overheats alot while driving with the plow on but not while plowing.
    Others are telling me to stick with the ford trucks.