1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Ford LCF with a Plow??? Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NE.MCH, Oct 8, 2007.

1. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

Hi, I am new to this site and would like to hear your opinions about a choice I have to make by Wed of this week. I have been plowing for several years now and sold the plow truck over the summer....it was a very tired Isuzu NPR dump with a 9' meyers. I purchased a 2006 Ford LCF w/ a 12' dump last year. I also have a 2004 GMC 8.1L w/ Allison. Basically I am buying either a 8' Boss V for the GMC or a 9' Boss V for the LCF......the difference will be a little less than 2k because of the fab work for the LCF....I do not know anyone anywhere that has put a plow on an LCF.....I think it would be the better choice due to the fact I can charge more...carry more......push more...etc.....but If I drop 6500$ and it plows like crap....I can't just swap the plow to the GMC......Does anyone know anything about plowing with the LCF?????? What would you guys do???? Drop $6500 on the LCF......or $4500 on the GMC???? Any help would be appreciated.......thanks:help:

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Hands down put a plow on the gmc. It's alway better to plow with a 4wd truck. If you really want a plow later on your lcf meyer/ diamond all ready have a mount for it.

3. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I dont know to much about the lcf. We have 2 isuzu's with 810's and 3 yd sanders on them and they plow awsome. Did you like the way your isuzu plowed? Most cab overs plow the same. Good luck with your truck.

4. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

Loved the Isuzu for plowing....the LCF is alot wider and heavier....so it could go either way......I looked into the meyers mount and they have one for the LCF for a 9' V it will be $5550. installed tax inc.........what do you guys think.......Thanks for your help.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

1st I would stay away from the meyer V at all cost. I personally would put the plow on the pickup first.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a mitsubishi Fuso with a Sno-way lobo V-Plow and a Chevy W-4500 with a 9 Ft Boss super duty. Love them.

People give me crap about them all the time, but I like them and thats all that matters.

Peterbilt

7. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

whats up with the meyer V???? have you used one .......is it junk??? looks pretty well built...whats up?? Thanks

8. itsgottobegreen

Just do a search on the meyer V plow. They take an already crappy plow and pump and add twice as moving parts that break because they feel like it. If you want a V plow thats is reliable. Get the Fisher Xtreme Vplow or the western MVP plus.

9. MnM

MnM Senior Member

are all these cab overs 4 wheel drive you are talking about or 2 wheel

10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Except for the fact that all of the threads are about the old style Meyer V's not the new Super V's they have out. I haven't actually read of anyone using one, just assumptions that it won't work well. Funny how when the Blizzard owners doubt the Wide Out/XLS without using it it's horrible but when people doubt Meyer's NEW (notice the new part, including pumps) products it's generally accepted.....just an observation.....but what do I know.

11. slplow

Meyer has come along way the past two yr's. They have made a lot of changes . If they were junk, why did the town of framingham dump all the fishers for diamonds.

12. itsgottobegreen

two words LOW BIDDER!!!!!!!!! I work for a snow plow shop in the winter. I would not for any reason buy a meyers plows. 90% of the plows that come in to our shop for major repairs say meyer on them somewhere.

13. midwestsnowguy

midwestsnowguy Member
    from midwest

A-MEN

look at every part on a plow and compair them to each other you will see a difference in each one. everyone has their opinion. i like the boss v, but you will digg your teeth out of the steering wheel because they dont trip. i also hate anything with a chain, and sno-way makes a much better plow now( new vees are coming soon i hear) but they use too many parts to lift the plow and the wear out but they have a good plow...my two cents

14. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

Well guys all your help was greatly appreciated. I have decided that I am going to plow with the LCF.....I know some of you disagree....but I get paid by how big the truck is ....so thats about it. I made some phone calls and got all my prices together and went out yesterday to criticise each plow in person. I am sure I am going to dissapoint many of you in saying that I purchased the Meyers Super Vee 9' 6.But first let me tell you why I came to this unpopular decision. All the crap I have read about Meyers none of it is about a V made in the last 3yrs...never mind the newly designed V. I was as critical as could be when I went out to view the V plows...and this is what I came up with

1st Fisher---- Built like a tank,Heaviest of the bunch, Handheld is easy. I have used Fisher straight plows before and have nothing negative to say. 2yr warranty Cost cash & carry $5000.

2nd Boss---Also built like a tank, Full trip design, easy handheld, Best mounting system I saw Smarthitch. 2yr warranty Cost cash & carry $4599.

3rd Meyers----Heavier than the boss lighter than the Fisher, Built very well bracing, ribs, frame all very beefy. Mounting system did not impresss me, actually my least favorite by far out of the 3, Handheld was my favorite part...move the plow how ever you want...most of the time with one button...then return it to full v or scoop or full angle with just one button. Trip Edge as oppose to full trip.....3yr warranty Cost cash &carry $5000.

So why did I buy the Meyers???? Simple they make the mount for my truck, the others do not....so I can spend a few hundred bucks and get the Meyers installed for $5300 or I can spend $1500 and get the Boss for $6100 or the Fisher $6500.......Also any custom fab work to my trucks frame (other than a body or box) VOIDS my Warranty!!!!!!! The Meyers just bolts right up. So I don't know maybe the Meyers will turn out to be a big expensive piece of sh**** .

I will tell all of you this .....after I use the plow a few times I will let you know what I honestly think...I am not the type to think that because I bought it it is going to be the best....I have bought sh** equipment before and probably will again....but I always give my honest opinion about what I have used...and simply do not give opinions about stuff that I have not used!!! Then after I beat this plow to death I will let you all know whether Meyers deserves its crappy reputation....or whether they are worth the second look that I took.

Thanks Again for your help........and hey don't bash me to bad until I give you a real tested report.......if I come back and the plow sucks, then you can say "we told you so"

15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Good luck with everything. I am glad to hear that you went with the LCF to plow with and not the GMC. I can't wait to read your report.

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The new Meyer V is built off of the old Diamond V which was the original V that Fisher copied. The new Meyer V has Dual acting cylinders and a trip edge just like the Fisher. I have a buddy with one new last year. It plowed just as well as my Fisher V.

I am looking into buying one next year. I would much prefer to run Diamond blades as I had a 9ft on a truck I ran in the past. I just stopped because I went to the Vs. Since the Meyer V is basically a Diamond blade made into a V IT WILL HOLD UP.

17. slplow

I think you made a good choice.

18. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

Hey guys......check out the pics in the pic forum......got the truck back yesterday