1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Ford F-350 broke into......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Snow Pros, Feb 1, 2006.

1. The Snow Pros

The Snow Pros Junior Member
    from midwest

Last Saturday night some punk a$$ muttha ****** broke into my new rig (in my own driveway, in a nice neighborhood) and stole my business cellphone with about 200 numbers on it! Appears they wedged the top of the door open and used a long rod to activate the door locks. I haven't got an alarm installed yet, which probably would have stopped them from getting in, but today I disconnected the wiring harness to the bottom of the switch assembly's. The door locks still work (with the remote), just can't activate them with the switch anymore.

***********Just a word of caution to you guy's with newer Ford (or other brand)trucks with electric door locks. ****************

I'll let you guy's know what happens when I find the little ******* that broke in. :nono: :nono: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

that sucks big...my buddy lives on a farm with the closest house a 1/2 mile away...he got his 150 broken into, and the dude left bike tracks on his driveway in the mud....lol, i guess its just one of those things you have to laugh off...until you catch the sorry sole who did it...
  3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

That is exactly the way most lock smiths, tow truck operators or others get in when you call for help if your keys are locked in. They actually sell a little rubber bladder that has the type of bulb hooked to it like a blood pressure cuff. slide the bladder into the crack and a couple squeezes of the bulb it prys the window frame open and a long rod your in.
  4. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

That happened to my uncle'ss Ford Lariat in Acton, Mass one time.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

almost ALL makes of newer trucks are sucesptible to the same thing. You had a theif smart enought to know that is all.

Remember, locks only keep the honest people honest!
  6. The Snow Pros

from midwest

Does anyone know if these trucks are easy to open using a "slim jim"? Now that I disconnected the electric lock switches they won't be able to use the long rod again.

Stupid thing was they only took the cell phone. I have a case of CD's, handheld remote for my Western plow laying on the seat (plus a spare remote in the glove box), garage door opener, I-Pass transponder, rechargeable flashlight, a bunch of change in the ashtray! They didn't take anything except the phone, and it's was a piece of crap old nextel (except for all my business contacts). Why would anyone walking around with tools like that only take the phone when there was $ 1000 worth of other stuff in there???
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sucks big time--the phone is small and a quick hit -can sell quick and get reprogrammed with new card---$200 phone for lets say $75--The tools and such --you have to find the right buyer! As for the slim jim thing - since the mid 90'S the big three have redesigned the lock area to make it more difficult to slim the door. If they really wanted your stuff bad enough they could have just broke a window! Like (just me) stated locks just keep the honest ones honest!
  8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Because now they will call all of your costumers and under cut you:confused:, there is alot of good info on a business phone.
  9. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Exactly what we have and use at work. It's call a big easy and an air wedge. We slide the bag rigth in, pump it up and use the rod to open the door. I can do it in under a minute. Good vehicle alarms(factory cadilacs and newer chevys) at least when it's locked and unlocked from the inside, the alarm will go off. Most other vehicles like yoru ford, your sol.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

11. The Snow Pros

from midwest

Well , Like I said I unhooked the wire harness to the switch assembly, so hopefully that prevents 'em from gettin in easily again. :mad: :nono: :gunsfiring:

What is a good brand of alarm/remote start?
  12. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

sucks man

Viper is pretty good
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I've broken into my own truck several times and thats how I got in the first 3 times. Now I just have a slimjim in my toolbox. However, I havent locked the keys in the car for about 6 months now (nock on wood).

That does suck you got your car broken into. My bro had his truck broken into right outside our house last year, SOB's broke windows, poped the ignition and column, but couldnt get it started, and they didnt even take the $20 that was on the seat, lol.

Good luck in finding that sorry SOB who did that though!!!
  14. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Does your truck have any type of factory alarm or remote entry? I know That on my 04' Chevy that if you lock the doors using the key fob remote that you can not use the lock button to unlock the door. You either need to unlock it with the remote again, use the key, or if you can hook the manual lock inside and even then the alarm will go off.
  15. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

great now next time someone will through a brick through it... i def. feel for you, but if anyone is determined enough to get in anything they are gonna do it.... theres a building contractor not to far from here in a bad area of town. he uses all like cabover box trucks and he actually leaves never locks his vehicles and leaves the back doors to the cargo box wide open.. i remember him telling me a story he went through like 20 or 30 windows in one year from crackheads looking for tools to sell...
  16. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Exactly what I'm referring too. We get ours from awdirect.com
    You mentioned you disconnected the harness but while it'll take a couple more seconds it's just as easy to pull on the handle using the big easy to open the door usually.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a better option would have been to move.....

I locked my keys in my truck a couple of times- after #3 I got a dupe key made and cut it down with a Dremel (cut the head really small) to keep in my wallet- hidden. Saved my but more times than I can remember- and a he!! of a lot easier than a Slimjim (real easy to dislodge the mechinism with a slim jim if you don't know exactly what you're doing)

I have all the normal door opening tools- the rods, wedges, etc. A spare key is SO much easier. Oh, and NEVER use a "hide-a-key" thieves all know to look for one.

BTW Newer DC vehicles with factory alarm will sound if you unlock from inside too. My Wife's 01 does it.
  18. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

you could still pull the door handle to pop the lock so i dont think unplugging the switch is going to help! I always pull the door handle first especially on fords
  19. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

i tried that once on a 2002 ford, but the buttons didn't unlock it. i pushed down on the interior door handle and it openned up nicley. but the window was down a couple inches.

Does prying from the top of the door mess anything up?? i've never seen it done. so i'm curious.