1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 f550 fuel gauge issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by meyer22288, Dec 30, 2014.

1. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

my boss has a 2006 f-550 6.0l psd 4x4. issue is fuel gauge isn't working. I couldn't find any fuses for it. the agrounds look good. im sure its the sending unit but before I replace it I wanted to know if theres anything else to look for. I don't like to throw parts at something when it may be something simple that im overlooking.
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Chevron Pro Guard with Techtron fuel injector cleaner, at least two bottles per tank, may take two tanks but this stuff is supposed to clean all the junk from the diesel fuel off the sending unit, I have read about success with the malfunctioning fuel gauges with this stuff, it's worth a shot, 5 bucks a 12 oz. bottle.
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I went through this new cluster new sending unit everything
    Ford couldn't figure it out
    Just bought an aftrrmarket fuel gauge and installed that
    I spent over $1,000 trying to fix it and I thinh the aftrrmarket was around $150 and done
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If I recall correctly, there was a known issue with the the fuel tanks of cab & chassis only SD's of that vintage where the new diesel fuels started to dissolve the inner tank coating / lining. We had the tank go on our 2008 F-550 and discovered it when we found gobs of crap in the fuel filter. I would assume that same problem could affect a sending unit.
  5. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Well one simple test is to jump out the fuel gauge wires at the plug on the top of the tank. Jumped out you should see the gauge sweep fully one direction. Remove the jumper it should return sweep fully the other direction. This will tell you whether or not that the sender is the issue.
  6. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

^ Yup. '07 F-450 6.0. Fuel tank de-laminated, took out pressure regulator, fuel pump, 4 injectors. well within warranty. No love from Ford. $4k out of pocket.
  7. RSI Const.

RSI Const. Junior Member

Every time I change my primary fuel filter(the one on the frame rail), it has little pieces of fiberglass in it from the tank delaminating. I do my filters(both fuel filters and oil) every 3000 miles and have had no motor related issues as the result of the delaminating tank. I heard that the delaminating is from the ultra low sulfer diesel but shame on Ford for not tanking some of the blame for these tanks