1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 f-450 6.0L questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by downtoearth, Nov 12, 2011.

1. downtoearth

downtoearth Junior Member
    from Virgina

New to this site, thanks for your help...

In August I took my truck (2006 450 with 6.0 L) to the dealer because it would not re-start after reaching normal operating temperature. They replaced something on the trans that fix the problem... The next week I noticed the truck was taking a while to warm up. Took it back they could not find anything but the kept looking and said injectors 2;6;7;8 were not working to spec.

So still under warranty til Sept. they replaced the injector (no S on the end). Ford only replace # 2 the other are not working properly but not bad enough to replace. (Even called Ford and did not want to help) long story short could this be the problem...

Now it Cold and it worse.. at idle it would take over 20 min to reach operating temperature and does reach middle of the gauge like before?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

How long have you had the truck?

3. downtoearth

from Virgina

Since new only driver is me. 84,000 miles

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

It is probably the FICM I bet you. Fuel injection control module. First, you will have to check you ficm voltage. If it drops ANYWHERE below 47 volts that is your problem.
    http://youtu.be/VSQ9lxr2oN4

5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

6.0s love synthetic oil. 5-40 for the winter.

6. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

If its a hot start issue its something high pressure oil related, ill put money on it being the dummy plugs in the oil rails are blown out or the STC fitting on the high pressure oil pump is leaking...

If its taking a while to warm up and may start rough its probably due to stiction. The 6.0 LOVES thin synthetic oil.... 5w40 synthetic is all I would use if you live in cold climates...

Stiction is caused from dino oil buildup on the spool valves in the injectors. Use Rev -X oil additive to get ri of stiction and consider changing your oil. Make sure you only use motorcraft filters as well.

Test your FICM voltage as well as your batteries. Batteries shouldnt drop below 10.5v cold cranking and the FICM should NEVER drop below 46v driving or cranking.

Anymore questions feel free to PM me, I work on these trucks all the time and own one myself. Thumbs Up

7. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

FOCMs usually go bad because of a bad harness. Also check egr, problematic on the 6.0s

8. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

FICM harness chafing isnt unheard of, but i've never seen a chaffed FICM plug wire, usually only glowplug wires or injector harness Main cause to FICM failure is low battery voltage...EGR iussue of course, but thats not what this guys problem is.

Hot starts like this are very common and are fixed with the new updated STC fitting on the oil pump or the needed replacement of the high pressure oil rail dummy plugs

9. downtoearth

from Virgina

Thanks guys, they (ford) fixed the hot start problem... I think it was a module on the trans they replaced???

As far as not warming up....

I will check the others and change to the 5w40 and add the additive. check the volt readings and update..

Thanks

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You might have a thermostat stuck open also.

11. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

what? i'd love to know what imaginary module they replaced

12. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

you need a better dealer the more guesing games they play the more it will hurt you. If it smokes blue when you start it and it is slow to warm deff a fuel or high pressure oil pump If i where you I would have them sheck pressure under load and also turbo out put i got 160,000 on mine and I did the delete kit and have me local power stoke goru (does not work for ford) he blows ford out of the water