1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 F-350 5.4l 3v PCV Valve

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by seville009, Oct 5, 2013.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have a 2006 F-350 with the 5.4l 3 valve engine.

Noticed last year that my oil dipstick was popped out about an inch; pushed it back in. Next time I was under the hood, it was popped out again. It keeps doing this. The dipstick itself seems fine.

Did a search, and one possible cause is a clogged PCV valve. I was going to check it/change it out, but I'm not 100% sure where it is. I called NAPA to see if they had one in stock, and they said that they don't even show this engine having one.

So...I'm confused.

Attached is a picture of my engine of what I think is the PVC valve - there is a solid tube that goes about 10 inches from where I'm pointing to what appears to be a similar valve end (ie: as though there is a PCV valve at each end, if this is, in fact, the PCV valve).

Can anyone tell me if what I'm pointing to in the picture is the PCV valve and, if so, does the valve at both ends and tubing need to be changed (it looks like it's one piece).

Thanks.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Picture didn't attach to my original post; tried to edit it, but it doesn't appear to have taken.....what I was pointing to in the picture is on the driver's side of the engine, right next to the oil dipstick tube.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Buy the repair manual or try the library. The book should show the location. I would think it has one. Should be stuck into one of the rocker covers.

4. MickiRig1

Buy the repair manual or try the library. The book should show the location. I would think it has one. Should be stuck into one of the rocker covers. My book only goes to 2003. It says the PCV is in the passenger side valve cover.

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

A website is a resource just as a library or a book is.

6. MickiRig1

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Pcv is part of drivers side valve cover. It is not serviceable without replacing the entire valve cover.
    You could try to clean it out with carb/intake cleaner or brake clean.
    As a Ford tech myself, I've seen lots of those popped oil dips myself...always tought it was odd....or owner just couldn't push it back in past the Oring seal.

8. MickiRig1

I like how you have to be very careful when pulling the dip stick. If your not, you bark your knuckle on an edge that takes skin off!

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I replaced a couple o rings on the dipstick that seemed to fix it

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks. Had to bring it to the dealer for the rough engine issue, so had them check this out. Turns out the o ring on the dipstick was gone (never even noticed it when it was there). They put a new o ring on and the dipstick hasn't popped out since then.