1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 F-350 4x4 Dually - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MajorDave, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

A couple questions...

1. Dually for plowing? Just thoughts on that - no matter what brand truck - ?

2. Found the truck listed above in Lariat - FX4 Off Road, Edge Juice Chip/System already installed, Turbo Diesel, 80K milage, $16,000. I can trust the seller...reports no problems. Never plowed. 2nd owner - he personally put 40k on it. Situation is wants to sell to get pay-off due to financial situation in case anyone is wondering...
    -Thgts on the deal?
    -Thgts on the actual vehicle, reputation, history of reliability, mileage, upkeep etc. (FYI Also have my son wanting to get rid of his 2003 Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, 8.1, 130k for about $9k)

*FYI - never owned a Ford, or Chevy for that matter, diesel or dually.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I love my dually For pushing snow and hauling I have flatbed on it That makes really nice
    Mine is gas 5.4 80% time mine hauling 3 mowers in summer time 5-6 days per week
  3. 01PStroke

01PStroke Senior Member

Eh, I'd think hard about the Ford. I'm not 100% (never owned one) but those 6.0s are known for their problems, especially when not in stock form. Unless he's got the "basics" done (headgasket, studs, egr delete?) I'd consider another option. I'm sure someone with ACTUAL experience with them will chime in!
  4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

duallys are fine for plowing just not tight drives and with a 9 foot or bigger plow to keep the snow away from the rear wheels
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

you are going to want to run some serious weight in the thing. At least a ton. A sander would be the best. What is the cab configuration? There are some known issues that can happen with that engine and are big dollar. I'd get an oasis report before buying it. Also, I'd get rid of the programmer. Once the kinks are worked out though, the engine is reliable.
  6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Hmm - interesting (it's a crew cab)...I have heard and been reading of some issues with this year/engine. Of course then you hear the same amount of stories of loyal-satified customers...

Just sometimes you come across deals and you wonder if this is that one...I have taken advantage of a few of those and been happy, but was very cautious going in. Thought this may be one of those that I should not pass up. Again, a very trusted source, but of course, that does not fix and engine...
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

good truck that will go anywhere. the only thing that scares me is the tuner.
    the edge juice tuners are well documented for causing all kinds of problems including smoking transmissions and melting pistons due to extremely high EGT's.
    then there is the problem with frying the computer when trying to remove the program.
  8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Call a dealer or better yet bring it to the dealer ask for their best trade in offer then go from there. With that motor you might be suprised that the price is lower. 6.0 can be expensive but so can a dmax and even a cummins if you bring it to a mechanic. Between my father and i weve had two cummins, two 6 liters and one dmax. All get expensive and if your not hot rodding or towing i say find a gas motor with lower miles.
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

If you get the truck, pull the edge tuner off ASAP and sell it. Edge tuners are known to cause the FICM's to self destruct.. An Oasis report would be a great thing to review prior to purchasing the truck. If you run and use the truck like a truck and don't sunday drive it all the time, you should have a decent truck. Spend around $4500-$5500 and you can bullet proof the engine and make it very reliable.
  10. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

first thing to do is pop the hood and check the degas bottle for signs of puking .

oasis report from dealer

carfax report

you'll just need the vin # off the vehicle

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Is the Edge a bad thing just on the 6.0
    I have 7.3 I have Edge for 4 years. I bought it for the towing part I can use step 1 and step 2 But cant use Step 3 unless I buy Temp gauge and Straight pipe it some other stuff.
    I like the towing mode feels like I'm driving a manual
  12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

all tuners are bad for engines if you do not have gauges, but the edge is especially bad for fords. they do all kinds of nasty things .
    go to any of the ford diesel sites and you will read all kinds of horror stories of destruction and carnage caused by edge products on all the different ford engines.

the preferred tuner for the 6.0 is a SCT.
    for the 7.3 the DP Tuner F-5 or F-6 chip is one of the best
  13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

This is quality stuff - thanks guys - gonna read up on the Edge - or moreso the other tuners...I am actually now starting to lean away from this purchase. I was thinking it may have been a steal with that price - maybe not so much now!
  14. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

REMOVE THE EDGE TUNER!!! WORST TUNER FOR THAT TRANNY! Edge eats ford trannys and does not tune the tranny. The 5r110 tranny needs to be taken care off. If you want to keep a tuner in it get an SCT with Custom tunes from Eric at Innovative. Worth every penny! Ive got an 06 6.0 thats had the sct since 57k and its now got 105k with not a single issue.

Everybody says its how you drive em blah blah..well i know one ford mechanic that bought an 07 6.0 brand me, blew his head gaskets at 1900 miles, 40k, 70k and again this past summer. And i know another guy thats got an 03 first gen 6.0 that drives his truck hard, truck pulling racing, and still on factory gaskets. Every truck is different. Dried up coolant around the cap is an indication that gaskets are starting to go or are gone. I truck will mine, plow with it, tow my landscape stuff and machines and I'm still on my factory gaskets, theyre going because i dont take the extreme race tune out ever.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

UPDATE - just throwing some info out there for anyone...I looked at the truck - seems to be a great deal. I am not going to do it - just too big for what I am looking for right now and around the City, just does not makes sense. Had to talk myself out of it. If anyone is interested, I am sure you can get a good deal. If interested let me know and I can put you in touch with guy. Truck from Texas. Great condition. Just thought I would pass it on - thats all...have a good weekend.