1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 F-150

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by BKFC255, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I am looking at buying a 2006 F-150 ext cab, with 5.4v8, and tow package. I plan on putting a 2.5 lift in front and timberns all the way around. I will be putting a 26 series sw on it. I was just wondering if the tranny and transfer case can handle plowing? I will be doing between 15 and 20 driveways with the truck. Any suggestions or upgrades other than what i have planned on doing?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Put a 29 on it. Not much more money and a step up.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do like Basher suggested. The truck will handle it just fine they way you have it. Make sure with the lift you get the correct blade mounting height location tho.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

yeah..do what basher said.

Your truck will handle that plow real good with the timbrens and plow prep.

Go with the bigger plow...just in case you take a step into a few lots!!

Put about 3/4 of the total weight of your plow in ballast weight behind your rear axle
    up against your tailgate for much better plowing.

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Both the 26 and 29 series would make fine applications for you. I do agree with others that the 29 may be the better choice if your contracts down the road would include lots and not just residentials.

6. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

I have the mt on my wifes 06 f150 with a leveling kit. It plows great. Its a back up plow so I do most of my work with my sw v. But when i do driveways i prefer her truck and plow.

7. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

The Truck Will Handle The 29 Series Plow? I Was Of The Understanding It Would Need The Plow Package For It To Handle The 29. I Am Buying A Ext Sb Truck. And You Can Not Get The Plow Package Unless You Get The Truck In With The Ext Cab 8' Box Or Reg Cab 8' Box.

8. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

great suggestions i would also recommend you get the down pressure you would love it for the driveways and the hooking up factor as well

9. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

Ford questions?

I had an 04 F-150 w/5.4 and auto with a 7' 6" MT for four years, and now I have an 08 F-150 w/5.4 and auto and lmtd slip diff. no problems at all. Just remember to plow in low range and 2nd gear, not drive. Or it will want to upshift too fast all the time. I haven't had to use any type of lifts or Timbrens, just make sure that you balance out the truck with the proper amount of ballast. I have an old tire filled with concrete that weighs 700# and is just about right.I can set this in and out of the truck with my John Deere loader. I also attached tiedown cables on it as a safety measure too . Either the 26 or the 29 will do you nice, go the extra mile and get DP, wirless remote and the nicer snow deflector that Sno-way offers. Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  10. F150dash

F150dash Member

I would love to get a snow-way for my 07 F150 4.6 Supercab but there is no dealer that I can find near me. The closet one in Canada to me is in Newfoundland or Quebec. With both being like 16 hrs away and I did see that there is a dealer in Maine but then I have to pay the duty. Does anyone know a way to get one shipped? I can't see why there would be any problem putting one on a ford. Mine handles around 350lbs on the front end like nothin.

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

yeah the duty on a complete plow is gonna be ridicules i would definitely try to find a dealer in Canada and maybe they can ship one to you

12. F150dash

F150dash Member

How does the sno-way work if you don't have the down pressure. I love the plow but for a 26 series for my F150 it is going to be like $5600 plus shipping.

13. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

So far, I am finding out the same thing. I have talked to almost every other plow manufacturer, went to their websites and used the plow pickers, and everytime the 05 and up F-150 Supercab will NOT hold a plow heavier than 420 lbs. The weight rating of this truck's front axle (3750) is very light, and has issues with any standard duty plow above that weight. The 26 series in poly is the only one I'm comfy with at this point.

Unless.... everyone else is wrong or there is a difference in design that offsets the weight problem. But the 600lb steel 29 is heavier than other plows that aren't considered safe to put on this truck. Is it something to do with leverage by the position of the pump and other stuff on the plow?

14. cobraman

cobraman Member

I've been plowing all winter with my 7 1/2 MTD on my 06 F150 SC and had no problem with it. I picked up a big parking lot a month ago that hadn't been plowed all season and the truck and plow blasted right through it. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford some wings so I'll have less clean up. Go for the bigger plow. You'll be happy.

15. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

nice to hear a good story and not a bashing story :salute: