1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 dodge transmission operating temperatures??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I purchased a new 9.5 snowdogg v today and am curious to see if it effects my tranny temperature compared to my old 8 ft meyer.

Right now the hottest I've seen the gauge is 250-260 on the hot line, is that to hot?
    90% of plowing time its inbetween 180-220, and driving will go down to 160.

What are the other dodges running at?

Also I dont believe the transmission has ever been flushed, doesnt smell burnt or look burnt, it has a 110,000km and I've owned it since 65,000. It works fine but am curious if its heating up to much.
  2. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

The key to prolonging the life of a dodge transmission is maintenance! If you do a lot of plowing, and work the truck a lot, you should absolutely change the trans fluid a minimum of once a year... I had a 2003 Ram with the cummins, I got 200,000 miles out of the original trans and my truck was worked and chipped. Absolutely change the trans fluid!! I always changed mine after plowing season, and then in the fall before plowing season, twice a year.. Its a must!
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Most transmission shops say if you dont have any signs of a problem to leave them alone. I guess thats why I've never done it.

What are normal operating temps, mid temps,and hot temps
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

250 is too hot IMO, 230 is where id stop drop the plow and leave it in neutral. I've found with the plow in V mode the truck runs much cooler than it did with my 8' Xblade. I think the V allows more air flow to the radiator.

You are correct- most tranny shops will say if it hasn't had a fluid change in 100k miles than don't do it at all. The crud that is built up acts as friction on the clutches preventing it from slipping. If you put new fluid in or flush it you remove the crud and the tranny will slip overheat and die. Some guys argue the opposite though.
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I stopped at 250, put it in neutral and let it cool down. I was plowing a 1 km road that had 1ft of snow on it when it got that hot. It is a dirt back road and I didn't have a lot of speed maybe that was the issue?

If I changed the oil would I see a drop in temp?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Temps are getting on the cusp of dammage. Have you tried to run the longer runs in 4 low. I have found the trans will work much less and the engine has a better time finding its sweet spot for power and rpm. Keep in mind you are plowing snow and the gravel base of the road is also adding to the friction.
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My trans runs @ about 145* F pretty much whenever I drive it normally. It goes up to 160* to 165* F when plowing for a long stretch.

I have the stock trans cooler on it, plus the deep sump derale flow through pan (the one with the air tubes that run through the pan).

I change my fluid after the season ends religiously with filter too.... and maybe once again before (no filter, just drain) , depending on how many miles I put on the truck. Overkill, yes, but it keeps the trans running good, so no real big financial or physical burden.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That is a great pan and isn't too expensive from summit. I purchased a small electric fan off ebay that I wired to a switch and mounted it on the stock auxillary cooler on the front of my truck. If the temps climb at all (I have a mechanical gauge on the hot out tranny line) I switch the fan on and it quickly drops the temps, but I really haven't had to do it much thankfully.