1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 DODGE RAM 2500 Sport for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RoguePrince, Oct 23, 2009.

1. RoguePrince

RoguePrince Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I just found your site and think its awsome ! So, i figured i would shoot out a question.

I currently have a 2006 Avalanche with a 8ft straight Hiniker plow (love the Hiniker!)

now, ive noticed that the front end if the Avalanche has started to sag a little, and im thinking the plow is a little heavier for the Avalanche. Which leads me to buy another pick up (need another winter vehicle anyhow...)

so, ive been looking at getting a Ram 2500. not too many around for sale in good condition (im in Ont. Canada). I HAVE found one but am worried it might not be able to do the job....

its an 2006 DODGE RAM 2500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4 (Gas) with factory towing package. Engine : 5.7 HEMI MAGNUM

now, my worry is the SPORT part of it. will it still be able to take the "punishment" of the plowing

i look forward to hearing your thoughts !
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You do know that the Sport package is only painted bumpers and grille right? Why would it not hold up? The paint make get scratched I guess
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

yep my poor sport is all scrathced up :mad:
  4. RoguePrince

one more question..

ive been doing some reading about the springs being changed (in another thread) and was wondering.. if i was to get this pickup, would it be wise to get the shocks changed also or not, since the plow is only 614 lbs ....
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 7.6 meyer on mine for 4 years now and the previous owner had a plow on it as well since new the shocks are still factory

it got 126k miles on it now and I got the diesel which is heavier now I am starting to feel its time for new shocks

I also run a 2 inch leveling kit which takes away the sag in the front from the heavy diesel motor
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 06 with the Cummins and a 8' Hiniker and it does just fine. With a gas motor you will be just fine with an 8'er. It probably has a plow prep on it too. If you were running it on a half ton avalanche why worry about putting it on a 3/4ton solid axle truck? Its what they were made for
  7. MNBOY

MNBOY Junior Member

Most of my plowing is done with my 05 Ram 2500 with the Hemi. Plenty of pushing power and comfortable to sit in for hours.
  8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I have th 9.2 VXT on my '08 2500 Hemi... It's awesome.
  9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

that truck will barely feel it good luck :drinkup:
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have carried a 9'1" 28V, 8'6" straight blade, and a 8'6" Mega Vee on my 05 Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi. Never an issue.

Do you run timbrens on your Avalanche? Have you turned the t-bars? do you carry ballast?
  11. RoguePrince

No Timbrens, havent turned the t-bars and no ballast. ive only had the plow on the avalanche for one winter, and dont want to strain the poor thing too much. thats why im lookin for something more durable.

also, i just took out the 2500 for a ride. seems its been VERY well taken care of. only one thing caught my eye...

when i drove it in 4 wheel drive, and took a tight turn, it was jerking quite a bit. it somehow seems to jerk more than my Avalanche.. how bad does a dodge 4x4 jerk on tight turns?? (hope that makes some sense...??) or is that one of those questions that deserves a reply like : dont take tight turns .......
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Difference between solid axle and IFS

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The good thing is the 5.7l gas engine is much lighter than the 5.9 Cummins. Thus less sag in the front end and less wear and tear on the steering components. Also what gears in the axles??? 4.10= lots of fuel!!!!

What is the price range on the truck, 19-21k??? Before you buy it take a few others out for a ride. NTM a 06 Cummins truck. If you plan on keeping a truck for many years I would consider a diesel truck. They might be a little pricy initially but you want have to visit the pumps so much.
  14. RoguePrince

ya, i know about the Diesel trucks... the 2006 is priced at 21k (canadian) but he also has a 2005 Diesel priced at 29k ...which is over what i really want to go, since i will have to get new wiring harness and plow mount for my existing Hiniker...

but im definately gonna go drive a few others to see how they handle compared to this one.. and i only do plan on driving it during the winter, since i got the Avalanche and my TOY.. (avatar) 08 charger... (showcar)
  15. malamuteman_1

malamuteman_1 Junior Member

I am hoping that an 2006 ram2500HD is enough I just put a Blizzard 860 on mine cant wait to use it !ussmileyflag

I'd try the 05 lowball him and remember the diesel trucks will retain there value much better. At 21k for the gasser is on the high end of the spectrum. You can always try to sell the Avalanche complete plow and all and buy a used new plow for the Dodge. The timing is perfect. Check out the private sector for used diesels. Seen some higher milers going very cheap.
  17. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

have a 06 dodge 2500 with a cummings and use a blizzard 810 and if not for the bad bearings no problem
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Spell correctly PLEASE - Cummins
  19. RoguePrince

1. was thinking of giving him 19-20k for the gaser.. taxes and everything in.

2. cant sell the Avalanche... wifes been wanting one since they came out and i finally decided to get her one... its "her" baby

3. the 05 diesel is going for 29k and even if i low ball it will still be over what i want to pay for.....
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

Don't settle too quick. I have seen many nice 3 genereration diesels go for those numbers. Sure they might be 1 or 2 years older and a few more KM's but the cummins diesels are worth it. Besides the 06 interior suck. They are stain magnets and impossible to keep clean.

If you have to keep the Avalanche then making the Hiniker fit both trucks would be in your best intrest. Always nice to have options!!!