1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 Dodge CTD to a 2012 Dodge CTD ... plow mount and wiring harness?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Traded the 2006 CTD (in the signature below) for a new 2012 CTD ... exact same regular cab truck basically aside from all the obvious changes. The front-end, frame, etc don't look to have changed really, though much certainly has. Will the mount and wiring off my '06 work on the new truck? If it requires modifying is it a big deal? Anyone actually done this yet?
    Would be great to hear from the guys at Boss on this one ... or someone that knows definitively.

2. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Turns out there are a few changes. The push beam support plates have been modified and the angle bracket(s) have been modified. A few bolts have changed and the headlight adapters have been upgraded. Got this from Boss directly.
    Just thought I'd update to help the next person looking for similar info.

3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

no photos of the rig???? :eek: c'mon!

4. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

heh heh, yeah I guess I should snap some pics and update my avatar soon too eh. Almost time to get the frontend bumped up and the VXT strapped on! Thumbs Up

5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

helpful link for anyone looking:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=138542

Its been over a month... :confused:

lol

Local dealer just took in a '10 mega laramie 29k miles. talking numbers Soooo on that note you just had to buy the headlight adapters and mount for your '12 correct? any issues getting the hole in the adapter plate drilled in the right spot?

[​IMG]

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Sorry, forgot about it. Only have the one pic and it was getting dark. I ended up selling the 2010 VXT and buying a brand new one as it worked out cheaper than buying all the stuff I needed to swap.
    The 3rd Gen Dodge headlight adapters will work on the 2012 but they have been "upgraded" apparently ... the material they are made of.

[​IMG]

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Awesome looking truck!!! Thumbs Up

my 05 doesnt use a adapter but looks like the 06+ do (p/n MSC09993) how bad is the lower valance cut up?

does your ford have a block heater? (noticed the cord...)

8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Not much cutting on the new Dodge ... worked out great, cut just below the upper profile leaves about 1/4" gap. I've owned and installed a plow on an '04, '06 and now '12 Dodge Ram 2500 and they've all been easy and looked great trimmed ... one thing done well on the Dodge for sure.:drinkup: I have always had a 2" lift in the front and 33" tires also so the mount is always set as low as she goes ... and still about an inch higher than the 15-1/2" recommended by Boss. Never any problems though ... with fresh cutting edges anyhow.
    GM really dropped the ball on this one.

[​IMG]

9. masterg2

masterg2 Junior Member
    from NJ

Install came out real nice and clean! I just bought 2 '12 Ram 2500's and am installing boss plows on them. Did them before on an 05, and an 06 Ford F550. I have a question about the angle brackets on the '12. When I line everything up, the back of the angle bracket where it is supposed to contact the frame has about a 1/2" gap between the bracket and frame on both sides. I have tried raising and lowering the push bar, as well as the angle bracket and still have the same problem. I am also running into the issue of the sway bar being in the way. Looks like to get the hole drilled, I will need to remove the sway bar. I didn't have this problem with the 05. I remember there being a small gap, but I was able to get it closed with the impact gun. The gap that I am getting now though brings up some worry. Any way you could post up a picture of your driver and passenger side angle brackets where they mount to the frame. Did you experience the gap? Thanks in advance! In the meantime, I will get the wiring all done so once I get this angle bracket figured out I can just drive up and be on my way.

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Just so happens I have one pic showing the angle bracket on the drivers side. It was taken at night and not likely much help but all I have. You'll notice that the upper-mount bolts (arrows) do not pass through the frame as Boss designed it ... Mark chose to do it this way for a few reasons I'm sure you can understand now (swaybar/endlinks in the road, crushing frame, etc). I don't see a problem except for re-tightening in the future as required. Have to cut a slot or grind end of bolt square to get a wrench on it. We'll see ... I wish the bolts were longer at least, in hindsight. Actually, I believe Boss only calls for one bolt on each side so you should be ok going right through ... but if you want to get the swaybar out of the way it's likely easiest to pop it off at the top of the endlink, weight of the truck on the tires/axle.
    With the pushbeam bolted snug to the pushbeam support brackets (pbsb) I can't see how you have such a gap between the angle bracket upper-mount and frame unless they are bolted on the wrong side of the pushbeam tabs? They are supposed to be bolted on the outer-most side of the tabs.
    I also remember him having to grind off part of the rolled/curled edge on the tow hook brackets in order for things (pbsb) to lay flat. And those heavy plates/spacers also at the end of the frame rails!! ... a bunch of wtf! details Boss seemingly ignored in their instructions. They should do a quality video of each install to help everyone ... including their "authorized" installers.
    Good luck. And I started another thread concerning my daytime running lights (drls) not working, then working, then not, and so on. Please report how your drls are working or not when you're done.

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. masterg2

masterg2 Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the picture. I see what you are talking about. It's strange though because where mine sits, it is directly behind the sway bar. I was hoping I was just missing something, but I guess that will be coming off . There are definitely no clear instructions for it though!
    When I did the 05, I remember there being a small gap, but it closed up when I tightened everything down. I think I will end up just putting everything together, doing the wiring, and then dropping the truck off at the place I purchase my plows from and having them look at the brackets. Last thing I was to do is mess up on a hole going through the frame on a brand new truck! Always fun!
    I saw the thread you posted about the running lights. I will jump on there once I get the plows mounted and running and let you know how everything goes. Are those headlights a pain to get out? I see there is a top bolt, as well as one dropped down. Same thing with older style though where you have push tabs on the side of it? Thanks again for the picture!

12. masterg2

masterg2 Junior Member
    from NJ

Quick heads up. Got the angle brackets on. I figured I would tighten everything up front (push beam and brackets) and see where the angle brackets really landed. The other day I was underneath the truck and didnt see where they hit along the frame. When I got it all together, I tightened up a bolt on the angle bracket to hold it in place and found that only the very back had a gap. I had good contact on the bottom and front of the frame, so I moved the sway bar out of the way and drilled my holes. Of course my 5 year old 11/16 drill bit didn't like the last hole and broke as soon as it punched through so I need to pick up a new one to do the other truck, but I bolted it all up and it is good to go. My bracket has a larger metal plate than yours does which is weird, so that might be why it doesn't sit flush on the back end since the frame does have a slight bend in it. Either way, it is all set up now, so today I will get the wiring done and see what goes on with the lights and post results in your other thread. I'll have to post up some pictures as well. The front valence I ended up just taking off instead of notching because I plan on taking the bracket off in the spring and summer and putting that back on. I usually notch, but these are also personal use trucks so I want it looking clean in the summer. Thanks again for the thread and the extra picture!

13. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I have a 2" lift on the front so my swaybar will be at a different angle (pulled down at the endlinks) so that may explain some of what you see ... along with the pic at a slight angle.
    Those headlights can be tough to pull out eh. I have one off the '06 in the garage with a broken rear tab.
    Both of the angle brackets (left and right) are different. I'll try get a pic of the other side for you to compare ... the weather has changed here and a decent pic may be difficult.
    As I recall, you'll have to take off more than just the pushbeam to reinstall the stock air dam (or valance). The pbsb are also in the way. No way I'd be tearing all that off just for summer every year. I don't mind cutting them ... looks alright and pretty cheap to replace if you ever needed to.
    Great feedback and pics would be great too. I've learned a lot from these forums, always will ... great we have a place to share our experience(s) now.
    Make sure you heatshrink all your splices ... don't use those crimp-on things they supply!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. masterg2

masterg2 Junior Member
    from NJ

Yes the brackets and push beam all have to come off. Only a few bolts so I don't mind taking them off. I have a shop so 1/2" grade 8 lock nuts are readily available. Those clamps suck as well as the headlight adapter! Nothing clips on the blue end into the black rubber so I had to tape the ends to keep them from coming out. Everything lined up nice and so far everything is working. The cheap splice they supplied are definitely garbage! I will get some pictures when I get the second truck done. Only 5 new cuts on my hand from the first one!
    Definitely a great website to share info and installation tips!

15. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

heh heh, blood and curse words are pretty standard with any project like this eh.
    Yeah, you'll be removing every single piece of the undercarriage(s) you just installed to be able to install an unmolested valance ... every nut and bolt, bumper, etc. heh heh, you'll be a pro installer for sure after a few summers! ... you'll be able to do it blindfolded.
    And I don't know what I was (not) thinking concerning the swaybar ... when you take the weight off the tires (via a lift or jack) the axle will sag, the swaybar will pivot and no longer be in the road :dizzy:
    The headlight adapters have been upgraded ... I'll have to look at mine and see what colour they are. There is blue and green I believe ... can't remember offhand which is the upgrade but I'll find out soon.
    Great day of plowing today ... everything worked great!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012