1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 5.4l F250 SD

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

2006 5.4l F250 SD Slow Accelleration

I have a 2006 5.4l F250 SD that has poor acceleration and hardly any power. I find it hard to tow my 4500lbs trailer. On the highway i have no passing power and when i come to a hill its hard to maintain speed and i get random cylinder misfires. Also got a lean code and a misfire under 1000 rpm code. If i park on a hill (truck pointed down) and turn the wheel into the curb the truck stalls. I also get random stalling once a month or so. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have the plugs ever been changed? If you have ethanol in your fuel, try some ethanol treatment for a few tanks.

I had both issues in my 2006 F350 5.4l. Did ethanol treatment first and that helped alot. Then started having really bad acceleration/missing issues, which is when the original plugs were replaced. Been running smooth and strong since then.

I've also been using ethanol free gas.

I'd try all of that first, as it's the easy stuff and are common problems.

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ya sorry forgot to mention I got the plugs replaced and the cats tested. I put seafoam in the gas tank before changing the plugs which made the problem worse.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I didn't use seafoam for the ethanol treatment. My mechanic iitually used some concentrated stuff, then I bought some regular ethanol treatment at the store. Try that for a bit. Change your fuel filter too if you haven't already done it. That's all I got.....

5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Yup changed the filter too. One thing i tried was i took the gas cap off and it almost seemed to run better but i could be wrong.

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It's my understanding those 5.4 motors have some intake gasket problems that cause intermittent lean conditions.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Non ethanol gas i run it in my 5.4 can't believe the difference.

8. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Okay ill check out the intake gasket and look for other vacuum leaks. And ill try ethanol free gas. I have a bully dog programmer that has some 89 octane setting. Maybe no ethanol and 89 octane tune. Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

11. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Well i thought i would yake a look at the MAF and i went to unbolt it and the one bolt was completely loose. Is it possible that could leak air and mess things up there? I tightened it down and truck seems to be running better. Ill know as the day goes on.