1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 5.4l 3v Triton Timing Problem?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaynen, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I got a 2006 5.4l 3v Triton in a f250 super duty. I have very poor acceleration and power. Im trying to figure out whays wrong with the engine and i think its timing. I know with variable valve timing its not going to easy to describe the numbers but this is what i got. Im using a bully dog for this.

I Start the engine and my timing is about 44 and as the rpms drop to 615 my timing goes to about 40. Sometimes at idle for awhile it can drop as low as 36. If i am accelerating hard i can get up to 49 or 50. Do these numbers seem right?
  2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Stalling? Running rough at idle? Those 5.4's suck. I have a f150 with the same motor that i'm trying to decide on whether or not to do the timing/ phasers on it RIGHT Now! Its about a 2k dollar job at the dealer...

Mine is stalling after about 3 mins of driving.. throwing cam shaft and position codes too.
  3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

See i dont have that. What i have is a little shimmy or very mild shake at start up which lasts until it settles at around 600-650rpm. Just very little power or accelleration when over 70kph. Then sometimes when coming down from 1500-2000rpm to 650rpm i slowly get metal banging which gets louder and louder and rpms drop to 350rpm or so. Then after about 5 seconds it stops and runs smooth. If you have lots of time its worth it to do it yourself. But your lucky at 2k at the dealer. In canada things are messed. 2 dealers i talked to were in the 3k to 4k. Why not just put in a rebuilt motor? Ill never touch this engine ever again.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Could be the coils or spark plugs, easy job as long as you don't break them and might be worth a try.
  5. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Ya did the plugs. Didnt do coils though.