1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2006 2500HD Towing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Feb 23, 2011.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm going to look at a 2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab tomorrow. I really like the truck based on the pics. It does have the 6.0. Would I be OK towing a 26-28' enclosed trailer with weighing about 9K lbs. loaded or will it be a stretch? I have has the 6.0 before and I loved it. The truck has 96K on it and they want $19,800 for it. If it is in good shape and they come down a bit on the price I'll buy it tomorrow. I just really can't afford a diesel right now, but if I have to get a diesel I will. I like the idea of an 8.1L, but they are hard to find.

34e6ee140a0a0065005043d69f352f83.jpg

34e625fd0a0a0065005043d666693f2b.jpg

34e696aa0a0a0065005043d63e1d6297.jpg

34e6754f0a0a0065005043d6e615eac4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I used to tow a 26' enclosed lawn trailer with a truck very comparable to that one and it did the job just fine, not going to win races but it didnt struggle that bad.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Is that the allen mello dealer in nashua, nh? For some reason it kind of doesn't look like it but if so, its about 5 mins from my place. If ya wind up there, shoot me a txt or call me if you have some time 603....557....4667, ill probably be out at my shop but if not ill definitely swing over. Its funny, you're possibly coming up here to look at a vehicle tomorrow and I'm heading down to MA to look at a couple

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You should have a 16K lb. GCWR on that truck so it appears you will just be legal.If it was me I would change the weak POS factory receiver with something more substantial like a Curt or Reese.That little gasser I'm sure will be working hard pulling hills.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Thats one sweet looking truck.

Tow ratings are 12,000 and GCRW is 16,000. Subtract out the 9000lb trailer and the listed curb weight of 5200lb (realistically more like 6000lb with fluids and a driver) and you've got 1000lb of wiggle room.

How far and how often are you pulling that trailer? If its going to be frequent long hauls I'd save my pennies and get a deisel, moving that much mass long distances is going to kill any semblance of economy you might have with the gasser.

6. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Yesterday i did just this, But i got a receiver of a 2009 2500HD with the 2.5" receiver opening. The side by side comparison was unreal. The one off the 09 is MASSIVE compared to the on on my 05. Bolts right on to factory locations, all i had to do was grind the trailer plug bracket spot welds off the 05 receiver and tack it onto the 09 receiver, as the newer trucks have the plug in the bumper. Just a thought for the OP, there is another one on eBay from the same guy i bought mine from. Was a new take off

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf5418329

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Nice looking truck but price seems high to me. I picked up my RCLB D-max with 34k and a plow for $19,900 back in Feb of 09. As far as towing the truck will do fine, you just wont be towing by any gas stations.

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

You will be fine. It will like the fuel but it will tow it.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You can if you take the gas bill for this thing into consideration.

How can you have a tow rating of 12k if the GCWR is only 16k?

If the listed curb weight is 5200 that would leave a 10,800 tow rating.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After hauling salt in my v-box a bunch this year I wish I had the diesel in a way.

It runs hotter then it should when I am loaded and I have smelled trans fluid twice while plowing heavy snow and having salt in the back. I can feel the truck strain hard when loaded and I take off from a dead stop. It is a great truck and motor I just over work it and if you plan on running the max GVWR/GCWR I would for sure get the diesel. Like others said the savings in gas alone should be a thought when you decide.

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

i agree, but those are the manufacturer specs. Doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

Deerefarmer, did you pull the trigger on this one?

12. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

That truck just makes you ask why did they change and why wouldnt you want it in red BONER!

13. DeereFarmer

It is Allen Mello, good eye. Sorry I didn't see this thread before I went there yesterday, I would have taken you up on your offer. My girlfriend lives in Hudson, NH, so i'm up that way all the time.

14. DeereFarmer

Went to go look at it yesterday. The truck is gorgeous. Best style, best color, just an awesome rig. I don't think its for me though. They were hell bent on $20K for it. Other than a big dent in the rear bumper and some dents in the bed (the bed headboard was caved in towards the cab a little) the truck is spotless. I still don't think it would be worth what they were asking. I think you guys are right, I'm going to focus on a diesel. I'm hopefully going to be getting hired fo a new full time job in the next week or so which would allow me the extra funds for a diesel. I think it will be worth it for what I'm looking to tow. 7-9K lbs, 120 miles roundtrip weekly April to October. I keep checking the numbers and I think a diesle is still the way to go.

15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

20k for an 06 gas wtf. I paid 20 k for my cc 04.5 duramax witk 38 k on it almost 3 years ago. There out to lunch!

16. DeereFarmer

Yeah I don't get it man!

17. brad96z28

Have u looked on auto trader?

18. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I tow 12-15,000lbs with my 8.1 about 1500 miles a week every week all year long. 7.5-8mpg fully loaded. Truck pulls close to a Dmax but nowhere near the fuel economy. Im shopping for a 3500 Dmax in the summer time. Btw my curb weight on the scales "truck only" and me in the drivers seat weighs 7,300lbs so I dont see how the curb weight on that truck could only be around 5,500lbs mine is a ECLB and I know the weight is accurate as ive been on over a dozen different scales. But I cant vouch for a 6.0 towing heavy, i only used a buddies truck before to pull a 12' motorcycle trailer. IMO I would def spend the extra on a diesel. The fuel savings alone would make up the difference in cost. Goodluck

19. brad96z28

20. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Just an idea try to hold off as long as possible with the price of diesel going through the roof there should be plenty to choose from remember last year