1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005ish unimount 6'6" pump and fluid questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WhitePlowr, Dec 11, 2013.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

I bought this unimount setup a couple years ago . I think its a 2005 model the last year they made the unimounts or maybe im wrong anyway. im changing the fluid and filter on it . its working fine but you want to open it up and see whats going on as the new owner. I removed the motor and pulled the pump thing out . replaced filter and torqued that thing down to 15lbs and hand tightened motor bolts really hand tight. i was gonna leave the (red)fluid in the rams because it was pretty clean but the new fluid is western blue!!!!. so i don't know if the guy never changed the fluid and the older western fluid was red or he was changing it using some trans fluid or whatever ???? im not sure but it wasn't really dirty so that was good.

so i drained the rams with the hoses off. hooked the hoses back up and filled up. moved the plow around. to get air out. filled more.. I see another 1/4" hex side screw that looks like a full level mark or do i keep that in and fill to the top of fill hole???? this is also a self bleeding system right move it around a bunch and it will bleed itself out

how bad is it to mix whatever red was in there with the blue since you cant get it all out i guess i will change it again and using it away. is that the best way????

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't mix the fluids
    There's 2.....1/4 allens on the drivers side. The one on the pump body is the level plug. The other one on the lift ram housing is a psi ck port

3. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i got most of the fluid out alittle in the hoses and the valve area i guess have mixed in. i have 3 1/4 actually. i saw the 1/4 by the valve square box thing closest to the driveside. then one on the housing right next to the lift ram facing out towards the driveside front. then come around to the front of the housing more. between the motor and lift ram is another 1/4 and behind the motor / passenger back side is square head which is the fill??? so what are all 3 1/4 for ?? try and get a pic

4. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i also put 2 qts in and it looks like im below the threads of the square head bolt . maybe to much??? i have the solenoid isarmatic mark IIIA angling arms which should only take 1 3/4 qts

5. dieselss

I told what the 2 are for.
    The 7/16 square head is the fill

6. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

ok you can see two 1/4 here and on the valve thing to the right there is a third 1/4 on top. .. so the fill is behind the motor and which of these two is for what. the one in front and one over the valve body

7. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

ok there we go

CARS 088.JPG

8. dieselss

The one on the case is your level. The one on the lift ram housing is for a psi test post. But you can remove it to get some fluid out

9. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

if the specs say 1 3/4 qts but it seems to take more does that make sense?

10. dieselss

Kinda. Fill till it comes out the ck plug on the side of the housing