1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005Chevy roof lamp provisions?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by phishoook, Dec 6, 2005.

1. phishoook

phishoook Member

How do you get to the wire? Is it possible to plug the roof strobe into the wire that chevy has installed?

The dealer had know idea. He wanted me to cut a hole in the top of my truck.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

3. tonybands

tonybands Member

I just snapped off the plastic moldings on drivers side headliner, reached in grabbed wire (just laying in there) pulled it through the third brake light and wired strobe. Piece of cake. I did have to carve a little of the plastic on the brake light so it would sit proper but you wouldn't even know.

P.S. I have a 2003 Chevy 2500hd extended cab with back rack.

4. RX8_with_a_plow

RX8_with_a_plow Junior Member

TracRac

Ditto.

I just did it this weekend. Be careful when you push the fish tape through the foam that is blocking the hole behind the brakelight that it doesn't end up pushing through the fabric of the HL:angry:

I mounted my light to a piece of PT decking that I attached to my TracRac. 5/16 (I think) bolt heads will slide down into the top rail which allows you to mount anything on it. I used stainless steel hardware. I also went to good old Walmart and got a trailer wiring harness for $5.97 so I can unplug it if I need to. The other end of the trailer plug will fit behind the brakelight in the off season.