1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 tundra

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by jcald, Nov 25, 2004.

1. jcald

jcald Junior Member

I'm thinking of buying an 05 4dr tundra.Will I be able to put a plow on it?

Your input is appreiciated.

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

3. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

Im still a very new member but if you read the Yota threads much youll know I love Toyotas, enough about me :p . Well I just wanted to add fuel to the mix. Toyota has rumored a deisel and 1 ton for the 2006 year.

(mmmmmm deisel)

4. jcald

jcald Junior Member

Thanks DMont,
    I also found out I can put a western suburbanite, a fisher Homesteader, and a blizzard on a tundra.The western and fisher both wiegh less than #300 and the blizzard is over #500. Now which one should I go with? Any opinions out there.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The Blizzard 720 for your truck is 380 lbs.

6. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

you may want to drive a Titan before you purchase the Tundra.

7. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Check around....depending on your needs....that Yota is supposed to be a full size vehicle and therefore you should be able to put any 7'6" plow on it.....but likely you'll mess with the warranty no matter what kind of plow you install (Homesteader, whatever)......Your 1/2 ton Yota like my 1/2 ton Chevy is not recommended for any plow by the manufacturer. :nono:

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard the rumor about the diesel and 3/4 and 1 tons......bring it on......I will buy one.....

as for which plow..........find the best dealer as far as support and location and buy.....

Derek

9. jcald

jcald Junior Member

Hey Bolts, seeing that your the dealer Here What would you go with Blizzard or one of those down pressure Plows?

10. Bolts Indus.

Depends on what kind of work you will be doing.

11. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

the tundra is not a good choice for plowing ,if it is going to be used commercially that is .although i plow with a 01 tacoma xtra cab and a 6,8 ld fisher, i would not want to be forced into putting a lighter plow on a wider truck because situations come up when you are out plowing that the lighter plows wont handle or cant take i sucks that the whole idea of lighter home owner plows came about because of lowsy lighter frontends on some full size trucks ........paul

12. jcald

jcald Junior Member

Bolts,
    Basically I plow approx 12 to 20 residential driveways depends on the snow fall amount. Very light use as you can see.

Paul, I agree with you on that the front ends suck these days, but, these new lighter plows have down pressure which I'm hoping makes up the difference for the lost weight. I was plowing the same truck you have now with the same exact setup. So when it comes to the tundra I figured if I did with the Tacoma I can definitely do it with the Tundra. :D

John

13. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

the problem is that i dont think the tundra front end is any more beefier for its size than my 01 tacoma and because its much wider it has to be much more stronger to handle a wider plow i know somwe of these plows have down pressure but it is another thing to possibly go wrong
    you know if toyota would only send us in the states what they send to africa ,australia, south america the whole issue with front end strenght would be a non issue in ,...1982 i bought a 1/2 ton long bed toyota 5 speed 4cyl. it was the only mini truck that had a solid front axle ,i bought another in 86, an xtra cab that was the last year they were both mini f350s literally !!
    i cant help getting aggravated seeing the demise of the actual worktruck in america one thing i will say is that you cant beat there dependability and whatever you put on that front end definetly put timbrens they tighten the whole thing right up
    btw if you have a chance try to find a toyota sight in australia and you will see what i mean about what we get for trucks and what the rest of the world gets ........paul

14. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

Im curious about your years as in 86 they had independent front ends(torsion bars). 85 was the last year for solid axle in the pick ups and 4 runners, 97 was the last year for the Land Cruiser(at least in the States). And if Im not mistaken 97 was the last year toyota offered the solid axle anywhere. Not to argue the strength of the solid axles because I whole heartedly agree Toyota should have kept them, but they where a birfield design that is known to be on the weaker compared to the american counter parts. I still feel for the engine power they were indestructable(and I have seen them hold up to V8 power). The U.S.A has been totally jipped when it comes to the awesome trucks toyota sends elsewhere. The Hilux is other countries version of the tacoma but the had crew cabs since the begining and fj40 are still produced also in crewe cab. Plus they all do get the option of deisel. From what I understand I agree from what Ive seen that it is very reliable, plus tuning the factory turbos nets great results.

lol did I just type all that :rolleyes: ...I love Yotas but up here salt has all but elimanated all of the solid axle rigs. The last one I was able to get my hands on I had to get from New Mexico :( And I have never been lucky enough to get a USA version desiel.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  15. Bolts Indus.

I don't know how well built the snoway is but if your happy with it then for driveways I might go with it.

16. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

your right about the years i must have had an 85 i,m on my 16th truck you know tend to forget..the landcruiser stopped the solid axle in 97 ,presently i have a 93 ,90,landcruiser and a 01 tacoma i am really mad about toyota sending us trucks that are not wanted in different parts of the world but they are forced on us and we are told how tough they are .i dont buy it everything they make is not geared to working types and i do agree that the birfield is a problem somewhat i just replaced them on my 93
    you have to understand where i,m coming from i bought my first truck in 76 it was a 1/2 ton chevy leaf springs and solid axle at a 1/2 ton it would probably compare to most 1 tons today back then nobody i know paid attention to what there truck could with stand you just piled on whatever you wanted and went in 1982 i put 1860 pounds of construction debris on my toyota long bed pickup they weigh it at the dump thats how i knew i wish i kept that slip..........paul

17. jcald

jcald Junior Member

Well I've made my decision to go with the Fisher homesteader 7'4" blade. I'm still not overly happy about this plow but the blizzard dealer didn't have a plow for me in stock and said that it would be mid to late dec before he received one and wanted to charge me the freight shipping for the plow. :realmad: Anyway I talked to a couple of dealer about the homesteader and the suburbanite plows and pretty much ends up that these two plows are very alike so I'm going with fisher becuase its $50 cheaper. :rolleyes:

18. ghosttridder

ghosttridder Member

I have an '05 Tundra reg cab and i have a question about a western suburbanite

i haven't used western suburbanite plows before, i've heard they are pretty good for snow plowing. Any suggestions? My snow plow route is going to be relatively small courts in a residential area, does anyone know if the suburbanite 7'4" will do the trick? my Tacoma is a v6 4x4. Thankx.

19. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

It will do the trick

The Suburbanite and the Homesteader come of the same line and are the same plow. Only difference is Sub is red and Home is yellow. They are light weight but do a good job. Being light it wont tear up the front end of your vehicle and does the job. Now while they dont have down pressure, they do have blade lock. Blade lock locks the blade in a fixed down position. It will hold the blade to the ground and release if an obstruction or excessive pressure is sensed. As you probably know, it is categorized as a personal plow, but dont let that fool you. Like any tool, use it properly and it will provide you good service. I am using mine on one big lot and some drives. Many will say they are junk but I havent talked to anyone that has one that says that.

20. ghosttridder

ghosttridder Member

wow thanks deh8255. I was really trying to get the boss 7'0 installed but i found out that they don't make one for tacoma's, only tundras so i was like oh well what the heck. But yeah like you said people say it's for personal use, i think it's half of it is a marketing trick to get you to buy a higher price plow. Yet the heavier duty plows might be more lasting and tough, but don't you think the suburbanite plows 7'4" will do the trick? I really hope it will because it's my first time using this type of plow. It's at the shop right now, they are going to mount it sometime tomorrow..