1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 transfer case issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KingDuramax, Jan 12, 2010.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

My trucks t case is makeing a clunking noise when put under load. I cant find a used one. Have any of you rebuilt one of these? A new one is $1392.00 plus a $300 core. I'd like to think I could rebuild it for less.

2. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

Sure its not the rear end? these t-cases are pretty strong! they do have a pump faliure problem but thats it for defects really. You can breack them but you have to be doing something stupid like I was pulling! I complettley destroyed my 4wdoutput gear and put a softball size hole in the case, but that was at around 500HP! and being drunk and stupid like I said!! LOL

3. KingDuramax

Its deffinitely the t case. When it does it it actually thumps right at my feet. From what i understand it is the pump that failed and has caused the damage.The chevy dealer said oh you too when I called to get a quote for a new one. So I guess its pretty common.

4. dmaxplowguy66

well the best thing to do is just take it out and break it apart to see what falls out. Most pump faliures I see have come from pump faliure and the pump rubs a hole throught the caseing. Not from lack of lubrication. Is it leaking or anything?

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wonder if fords or dodges are the same, i think they all use new venture?

6. dmaxplowguy66

no just the NP263 and 263XD transfere case's the fords run np271 and the dodges are np241

7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I had a 2001 that thumped. Had some slop in transfercase. Traded it in. Buddy of mine runs a 2006 and says it does the same thing. He runs a 9.5 v and a hopper sander. Been doing it for a couple years...

8. KingDuramax

No leak yet but I imagine it will be at some point. Probably will run it until it leaks. I was hopeing to find some info on it. seems everyone (around me anyhow) just replaces them.

I'll tell you i have drove Chevys for 18 years and Im on my third truck this bodystyle. They are costing me alot. I have started to look at other makes. I hate to say it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. dmaxplowguy66

If you really think you are having pump faliure with no rub through leak then you should get it apart asap! If you dont you will have to replace the whole thing becuase you will have to get a new half casing and your core won't be any good. There is an easy fix kit for it a gmdieseltech.com I think thats the place?? get on dieselplace.com you will find all kinds of info about it

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I just put a rebuilt one in my 2000 Chevy & it cost me $750. That is the second one I had to put in during the last six months. The first one cost me $500, that was in July. We put it in drove it around the parking lot in 4-wheel drive, then I didn't use the 4x4 until late December and it didn't work....well the warranty ran out in the mean time.

11. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

They say you should put them in 2x per month

12. KingDuramax

Thanks for the info. I found alot of usefull info on there on this issue. The repair kit isnt too bad. looks like I will be doing this to my case.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're a piece of cake to rebuild if you have a decent intelligence to any kind of drivetrain component and some basic tools for the most part. Rebuild kits only run around $250 or so but I think you'll discover you need hard parts in addition to the usual kit, and those get expensive quick. The usual hard parts they'll consume are most commonly a range fork and sometimes the range slider too so add another $300 to the possible parts cost. And if it's thumping under load then a chain will probably be needed as well so add another $200 for it. And don't forget a pump rub kit in there somewhere as well. So for a possible parts cost of $850 or so and your time it can be done in a matter of a few hours. But the actual parts cost won't be known until you tear it down.

A reman will run around $1400 including a warranty of some type but won't include the pump rub kit in most cases.

And used units can be had for around $700 or so depending on location and I'd recommend adding the pump rub kit (and thus a little extra cost).

I'd tear it down to positively diagnose the original issue before I did anything. But basically its your call.

14. KingDuramax

New from Chevy dealer one is $1392. it wasn't a reman.
    The yards around me told me $1000 if they could find one..

I think I am going to put a new one in it. I cant afford to have it down for a few days.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was there a core charge on the new one as priced from your GM dealer?

16. KingDuramax

$300 core charge

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As I suspected, its a reman. They all are.

A 100% brand new unit is over $2000 from GM, if they can even find you one.

18. KingDuramax

When I priced it he did not say it was a reman. If it is it no big deal to me.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly, because they're trained not to divulge that important to some info. :D The easy way to tell is nothing from the dealer that is brand new requires a core.

But regardless don't be afraid of GM's remannd T-cases, they're good quality. However I would install a pump rub kit in it before installation. Saves from doing it later if you intended to keep the truck for long.

20. skibum

skibum Junior Member
    from boston

Does the pump problem apply to T-cases in the Chevy 1500 or limited to the heavier ones?