1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Silverado Shocks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Moss Man, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm looking for 4 shocks for the 3500 4x4 SRW. Last summer I installed 2 Monroe Magnums on the front, the classic large bore yellew ones, and I'm not happy with them. I really didn't notice an improvement in ride and the shocks I took off had 290,000 miles on them! The rear ones are original so they have 295,000 miles on them. Cost isn't really an issue within reason, I just want 4 shocks that'll perform and give a decent ride. I never off road with the truck, it's a work truck for plowing and hauling a heavy dump trailer. I do use in for personal use quite a bit also, so I don't want shocks that create a harsh rough ride.

KYB's and Bilsteins come to mind, but I'm not overly familiar with either.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I guess if the Bilsteins lasted that long I'd go with them again
  3. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I wasn't aware that it came with Bilsteins, I thought those only came with the Z71 trucks and mine is just a Silverado LS. It seems like I've always heard good things about Bilstein, perhaps that is the way to go.
  4. CuzMike

CuzMike Junior Member

I have the Rancho RS7000MT on my Ram. They are a Monotube design and perform excellent on the HD trucks. I love the ride. Part numbers for your truck would be RS7370 & RS7274. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
  5. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Bilstein ride is amazing. Fwiw spend a few extra bucks and get them built for your truck. I can get you a name of your interested. Pm me.
  6. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

Bilstein!!! If you have the torsion bars cranked up then install the D46-D47 shocks, you will be SO glad you did! 4wheelparts was the cheapest I could find as they price match and ship free but shop around for best price.
  7. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I took a look at 4wheelparts and the two Bilsteins that I'm seeing are the 4600 and 5100 series, I'm assuming the two part numbers you listed are for the 4600 series?
  8. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

I put the 5100 series Bilsteins up front on my 2500hd. Definitely noticed a HUGE difference. My t-bars are cranked so i still get a slightly harsh ride, but compared to the stock shocks its like night and day. The front end feels SO MUCH more cushioned! Highly recommend them, i also added lower shock mount extender brackets, haven't got around to adding new keys yet.

9. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Installed KYB Monomax truck shocks on my 05 a year ago. Love them and reasonable. Plow and tow heavy trailers all summer also. Check them out. Like the monotube design, an upgrade from stock shocks.
  10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I like HD Bilsteins and is what I installed on my 98 K1500 Z71 years ago to replace the factory comfort ride Bilsteins. Over the years though, they seemed to have gotten harder and they ride a lot rougher than when they were first installed.

I installed the Monroe gas magnums on my 98 K3500 and they improved the ride over what was previously on the truck.