1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Ram 1500 Runs Very Hot,What to do?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mballou73, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mballou73

mballou73 Junior Member

[]Hi I hava 05 Ram 1500 SLT,4.7 liter and had a Blizzard 760Ld plow installed a couple of weeks ago.Drove home down highway, awfull truck almost over heated a number of times. I had the heat cranked and was about 70deg outside. So I installed a pusher fan on the front on radiator figure when plow blocks the air this will still push air! Anyway put the plow on truck the other night backroads are fine,but the Highway doing about 50mph gets hot fast. Does anyone have any other ideas to help lower the temp..I also installed timbrens and tightened torsion bars, worked out great.
  2. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Well im no pro, but ive seen this problem on here plenty of times, so some more experienced guys can chime in with more/better techniques...but for starters try A) in straight position lowering the plow to about 4/6 inches off the ground, the lower the better for better air flow or B) look into blizzards air deflector thing that mounts on top of the plow to direct air into your grill.
  3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Stupid question, but was your blade angled?
  4. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

All of the above are good questions and suggestions. The other problem too (which is not so easily fixed) but adds to the issue is that you are running the small V-8, so it's requiring it to work harder and faster. I would personally reccomend (through going through this myself with an 02) that you make sure you are running a good quality radiator (you might have to replace the stock) and have a completely seperate tranny cooler, that is also a high quailty piece of equpiment. I would also reccomend that you lower your blade several inches or do anything else that is going to have more air hitting that grill and cooling you down. Good luck!
  5. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

I've had this problem for years on my 96. Finally figure out the problem. Check and see if the company that did the install notched out your under bumper air foil. If they just removed it and put it in the back then there lies your problem. You need to get that louver back on the bumper. I went so far as to add dual electrical fans that come on at 165 at a cost of close to a 1000 dollars and the truck still heated up at 50mph. It made not difference where the plow was or how it was angled. As soon as I got the air dam back on the underside of the bumper the problem disappeared. The main problem was that with the boss plow you have to really cut the lover up to get it back on. But that will solve your heating problems. Then just set the plow straight with the top approx at hood level so air can get under it and you should be good to go.
  6. mballou73

mballou73 Junior Member

Hey Guys thanks for the info. The company that installed the plow did take the lower louver off and thru it in the back of my truck. I 'm going to try that trick out and see what happens. Thanks Again.
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Also keep the plow at full angle (one way or the other)...my Silverado ran really hot when I brought my plow home (though not overheating hot) and runs fine when I keep it at full angle.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The louver is just an option , The trucks that do not have it
    do not over heat because they lack having it ;)
    ( yes, I know it is standared on the 1500's)

Your problem lies with your radiator.
    They never intended for that model of truck to be turned into a plow truck, as it lacks the plow group and has the 4.7L motor. and

drum rolll.........
    a small radiator...........

The 4.7 has a 2 core radiator You will need to upgrade to a 4 core like the ones on the 5.9's have and trucks with the plow prep group.

go slow max travailing speed of 45mph
    .(where have i heard that before?)
    Keep your plow as low to the ground as you can.
    Swing the plow to the drivers side as your airintake is on the passenger side this will let cool air into the intake.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  9. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

I bought my 96 new and it came with a 5.9 and the tow package with the large radiator and the oil and transmission cooler. The lover is part of the air direction for that particular truck. Ask any dealer. Your right most won't heat up with it off until you put it under a load or block the grill with a plow. The air dam under the bumper directs air up into the oil pan area of the engine compartment. If you look at how a western is installed by a dealer they notch out the dame and but it back on. Just had one installed last week with a V on it and it is perfectly fine at high way speeds. So is my 5.9 now after we got the dame back on. May just be my truck but it took me several years of trying everything else before the problem was corrected.
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I don't know what to tell you .
    I have one truck with the air-dam.
    (an option on the 2500's)
    and one with out.
    I notice that both of them run at the same temp with or with out the plow on or pulling a trailer.

The plow is blocking the air-dam anyway, so with the plow on it will not redirect any air.

I do not trust the dealer, they just tell you what you want to hear or what will make them money...
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The airfoil that Blizzard sells to direct air to the radiator will solve your problem. I have a jeep with Meyer plow, that would over heat on hiway runs and it has 2 electric fans. I made my own airfoil for it and solved the problem.
  12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Mark Witcher

Theres a considerable difference in the size between a myer plow and a Boss pro. If the louver is put back at the bottom of the bumber it will redirect the air even with the blow on it. You just need to raise the plow for air to get under it. It worked on my 7-6 Boss on a 1500 slt Dodge. Took me forever to figure the problem out and correct it.
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No matter how tall a blade is the bottom is the bottom.
    It will be the same hight no matter how tall the blade is.

No matter what plow you have it will BLOCK any air from hitting the air dam.....

The blade forms a vacuum drawing air away from the radiator.

So, you are telling him to run with the plow all of the way up and blocking the radiator and air intake:dizzy:

When everyone else is lowering there plows and angeling them to the left to allow air to enter the intake and radiator.
    Like I said the air dam is useless with a plow mounted.

It makes Little to no difference to the cooling. a air dam is an attempt to improve aerodynamics not to improve cooling..

But I glad to hear your system works for you;)

May be you just need to slow down a little...

If your truck is still over heating take a look at your cooling system.

Is your radiator clogged?
    Is your thermostat stuck?
    Is your radiator suscefficent, IE only a 2 core vs, a 4 core

Like I said I HAVE one truck with an air dam and one with out,
    one has a hiniker one has a boss (like that makes any difference:dizzy:)
    and they BOTH run at the same temp.

Your problem does not steam from your air dam be it trimmed or removed or intact
  14. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Blade Height

I did not say to run the blade all the way up. I said run it with the top of the blad even with the hood. That will put about 6 inches clearance to the ground with the boss plow. I just measured it. Second I know the blade cause's a vacumn. However wind does go by under the plow. The Louver will redirect that air up into the lower lart of the engine comparment ie oil pan area which is why the dadges heat so badly with plows. I know this soundfs strange to a lot of you but its true. Like I said before it may be just my trucks but it did solve the problem for me.