1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 ram 1500 rear axel locked/ drive shaft broke

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ronJr, Mar 7, 2015.

1. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

So I received a letter from Chrysler few weeks back saying that there is a recall on my model year. They stated I would receive another letter if my truck was manufactured during the period of the recall. Have not yet received the letter. Anyway after plowing the heavy wet 8+ inched all day and night (better then beginging of storm) finally on my way home at 4 am, the rear locks up while driving 30mph, driveshaft snapped off. Thankfully the roads where a mess so I was able to crawl a mile back to my house using 4wd. I Google the problem and the recall perfectly described my situation. The truck has 175000 tough miles on it.
    So anyone out there have a similar problem? What did dodge do or say? I know they have a fix before it locks up. Question is will they fix it now since they never sent me the recall notice telling me to bring it in or am I up the creek? I am close with the head mechanic will be calling him today thanks to Everyone in advance. to anyone who will say I should have bought a Ford or Chevy don't waste your time I have a hundred seventy five thousand miles five years of snow plowing, daily towing a Kubota up hilly terrain, towing 12 yard dump trailer or a 14 foot enclosed tool trailer. I will be buying another ram in a few months. (keeping my 1500)

2. mksent02

mksent02 Member

I received a notice for a recall too. Mine said there weren't parts available yet. How'd you do at the dealer?

3. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

Made out great! Chrysler told me to pay out of pocket and submit a claim which I would most likely be reimbursed for since it was caused by a recall part. I was not happy as I was expecting a 3-4000$ bill. I was pleasantly surprised when dealer called me 6 hours after having vehicle towed informing me that it was all done. the rear end was actually fine the pinion nut backed off lodged itself in the gears jamming them up they took it apart put on a new nut fresh fluid put the drive shaft back in which was not snapped simply got spit out the truck is goi

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  4. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

Made out great! Chrysler told me to pay out of pocket and submit a claim which I would most likely be reimbursed for since it was caused by a recall part. I was not happy as I was expecting a 3-4000$ bill. I was pleasantly surprised when dealer called me 6 hours after having vehicle towed informing me that it was all done. the rear end was actually fine the pinion nut backed off lodged itself in the gears jamming them up they took it apart put on a new nut fresh fluid put the drive shaft back in which was not snapped simply got spit out. the truck is good as new Grand total of $435. I have a whole new respect for this truck. When the new parts become available I will have to bring it back it. But I figure im good for another 175000 miles

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The pinion nut?

Jam in what gears?

Nut I'm pictureing is located between the driveshaft and the yoke/flange on the exterior of the differential.

6. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

I'm no mechanic. A nut came off inside the differential and locked up the rear end.

7. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

It was internal

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

You would think, coming from a mechanics background, that a catastrophic failure like a pinion nut back off with a drveshaft discharged, we oil have some collateral damage. Either you're y he luckiest guy on the planet, or the dealer hosed you by reassembling a trashed differential and sent you home.

Oh well. Time will tell. Hope it all works out for you

9. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

coming from a mechanic please tell me why the dealer would reinstall a trashed rear instead of installing a new one and making money on the repairs that were necessary?
    I did not buy my truck there and they are not a volume" dealer

10. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Pissing match, eh ? OK.... no problem.

I'm not a mechanic, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:dizzy:

This might be a semantics issue, as the pinion nut is on the OUTSIDE (item 19 on the diagram) of the differential housing, and not internal, and it couldn't fall into the gears themselves. The pinion itself might have moved inward and locked up the differential when it happened. Maybe you got lucky, as I said earlier, and the R&P were salvageable when the pinon retreated inwards towards the center of the differential. Usually they disintegrate upon misalignment, and need to be replaced, taking the bearings, crush collar and other parts out all at the same time.

or

The dealer might have installed a new differential in your housing, and covered most of it under warranty, minus your $500 deductible you paid out. This is less likely, as it usually takes more than a few hours to accomplish the replacement.

or

The teeth got chewed up, but not bad enough to require replacing, and they just reset the pinion nut. This is not a good idea to do, as the proximity and relationship of the Ring and Pinon (R&P) need to be within spec, and if a rear locks up like stated before, most of the time it creates havoc in there, damaging more than just a simple "putting the pinion nut back on" explanation.

FYI

If the pinion nut comes off, the pinion moves rearwards towards the ring and pinon center carrier (either open or LSD) unit. (item #8 on the diagram below) When this happens, it usually tears something up, such as the teeth on the R & P, get ripped off, or gets locked into the center section. Having a failure where a Pinion nut falls off, the yoke disconnects, and the pinion slides rearwards locking up the axle, it's usually a good indication that the R & P have been trashed because of their misalignment during the event.

Lots of other people have had this happen, as the TSB by chrysler is something that is supposed to address this. Read some of the comments in the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleiyG91KK0

I was glad it worked out for you, but just found it hard to understand your explanation as to what happened to the axle / differential, and such.....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  11. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

Not looking for a pissing match. The truck is under no warranty whatsoever. I bought it used from a private party 5 yeas ago. Truck has 175 thousand miles. I had it towed to the closest dodge dealer. I happen to know the head mechanic very well, he is a top notch mechanic and very meticulous. I had it towed to dodge for a reason. My receipt says " pinion nut backed of and flange came off. Removed cover and inspected diff, replace crush collar and seal and reinstall with new nut"
    parts were
    Pinion nut
    seal
    spacer
    lube
    Sealant
    Are you saying this is not possible?
    I spoke to mechanic at dealer before it was towed. He knows I was prepared to replace entire rear as well as driveshaft. If there were damaged parts why wouldn't a 5 star service dodge dealer replace them for a paying customer? Again I'm not a mechanic but I brought my truck to dodge knowing it would cost me the most but I would get the best service.

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yeah ?

Well, then you have a wonderful day....

13. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

Ok thanks and you too good buddy

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Its the part about the rear end locks up, that part doesn't make sense

Figure ur truck weights 5K, even moving at one mph and something jam up the gears in the differential.....you would think the there would be damage from that happening. The Bind would have to break something, I guess you got really lucky.

15. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

I thought I was very lucky. I was suprised as well. I towed it to dodge to make sure it was done right. Hopefully it works out. I will need to bring it in once the recall replacement becomes available maybe I will bring it to a different dealer to be sure it's ok. I really do trust the place that fixed it but you never know